Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Park, et al. (2005). Treatment of complete spinal cord injury patients by autologous bone marrow cell transplantation and administration of granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor.

Park, et al. (2005). Treatment of complete spinal cord injury patients by autologous bone marrow cell transplantation and administration of granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor.

This is the first reported study of bone marrow stem cell transplants into patients with spinal cord injury. They transplanted the cells alongside giving a hormone that stimulates the cells. They found significant improvements.

Park H, Shim Y, Ha Y, Yoon S, Park S, Choi B and Park H (2005). Treatment of complete spinal cord injury patients by autologous bone marrow cell transplantation and administration of granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor. Tissue Eng. 11: 913-22. Transplantation of bone marrow cells into the injured spinal cord has been found to improve neurologic functions in experimental animal studies. However, it is unclear whether bone marrow cells can similarly improve the neurologic functions of complete spinal cord injury (SCI) in human patients. To address this issue, we evaluated the therapeutic effects of autologous bone marrow cell transplantation (BMT) in conjunction with the administration of granulocyte macrophage-colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF) in six complete SCI patients. BMT in the injury site (1.1 x 10(6) cells/microL in a total of 1.8 mL) and subcutaneous GM-CSF administration were performed on five patients. One patient was treated with GM-CSF only. The follow-up periods were from 6 to 18 months, depending on the patients. Sensory improvements were noted immediately after the operations. Sensory recovery in the sacral segment was noted mainly 3 weeks to 7 months postoperatively. Significant motor improvements were noted 3 to 7 months postoperatively. Four patients showed neurologic improvements in their American Spiral Injury Association Impairment Scale (AIS) grades (from A to C). One patient improved to AIS grade B from A and the last patient remained in AIS grade A. No immediate worsening of neurologic symptoms was found. Side effects of GMCSF treatment such as a fever (>38 degrees C) and myalgia were noted. Serious complications increasing mortality and morbidity were not found. The follow-up study with magnetic resonance imaging 4-6 months after injury showed slight enhancement within the zone of BMT. Syrinx formation was not definitely found. BMT and GM-CSF administration represent a safe protocol to efficiently manage SCI patients, especially those with acute complete injury. To demonstrate the full therapeutic value of this protocol, long-term and more comprehensive case-control clinical studies are required. Department of Neurosurgery, Inha University College of Medicine, Inchon, South Korea. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...231&query_hl=2

Isn't this what Dr.Kleinbloesem is doing? [minus the factor, of course]

How recent were these patients' injuries?

I can't tell from the article, but it sounds like they were all acutes. Do we know if they're working with any chronics?

This is great news. Not only because improvement was noted, but rather because humans are starting to benefit.

Dr. Y,

Those S. Korean's!! Thanx for the info Dr. Y.

ip,

Not enough data to compare this to Dr. Kleinbloesem. I undestand he is going to incorporate a "growth factor" at the first of 2006. He is supposed to publish soon; then we can make a better comparison.

Is ambulation possible at ASIA C ?

Quote Originally Posted by ip
    Isn't this what Dr.Kleinbloesem is doing? [minus the factor, of course]
    YES!

Notice this one too is from South Korea. Korean scientists mean business!!

They ACT on going from lab to bedside.

My next trip will be to Turkey or Korea!!

If we have some Korean scientists involved in the decision making at the China SCI Network, I have no doubt things could move fast there too!!

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

ASIA A - You can drink beer with a straw.
    ASIA B - You can drink beer from a cup.
    ASIA C - You can waddle to the refrigerator for a beer.
    ASIA D - You can walk to a bar for a beer [can't walk back, though]

ip,

You're nuts! Don't ever change

Kate, that was my question, too, when I saw this abstract. I am fairly certain that this is in chronic spinal cord injury and not acute or else the abstract would have mentioned a variety of other issues associated with acute spinal cord injury. However, it is not possible to tell from the abstract alone. I had to pay for a subscription to the journal Tissue Engineering and unfortunately their web site would not allow me to download the file after I paid (Grrrr... especially since I am friends with Mary Ann Liebert, since I helped them start one of the their most successful journals "Journal of Neurotrauma"). I wanted to look at the full paper to answer some of the questions here. I called and contacted them through email and hope to get the reprint soon, and can answer the question.

Faye, please know that Darwin Prockop has been trying now for over 2 years to get funding from NIH to initiate a bone marrow stem cell transplantation trial for spinal cord injury, in the United States. I am writing a grant to do a bone marrow stem cell trial right now to the state of New Jersey to support his trial to be done in New Jersey. The passage of CRPA would help accelerate the availability of federal funding for such trials. Regarding ChinaSCINet, bone marrow is one of the therapies that we are considering.

Schmeky, ASIA C implies that that the motor control is not sufficient to be "useful" in the legs.

IP, you make me laugh and cry. I wish that your scale were true. Christopher Reeve had recovered enough to be an ASIA C but probably would not have been able to "waddle to the refridgerator". A person with ASIA D would have been able to do so. Please note that the paper was published in May and probably was submitted 6 months ago. In the paper, they reported 18 month followup studies on some of the patients. This suggests that they started doing this trial about 2 years ago. The results are impressive, nevertheless.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 08-03-2005 at 06:56 PM.