Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with marriage proposal ideas!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Help with marriage proposal ideas!

I need help coming up with a great and memorable way to propose to my girlfriend. I had a cousin propose by cutting "marry me Sarah" and then pointing down to it while they were skydiving. I've had friends propose on top of mountains, the Eiffel Tower, in Rome, and with the traditional getting down on one knee at a fancy restaurant. Being a new C5/6 quad, my options are limited.

Marrige proposals are something that are remembered for a long time. I'd like to come up with something original, but if someone has a great idea I'm going to use it.

So, all you Muses and hopeless romantics out there, please chime in and help a guy out!

Thanks CC!

Jay

~"Go Big or Go Home"

http://www.firstdance.com/mp2.htm

There are some cute ones in there. You might want to read through and change a few things to be more original, but you might find something that would work. The one about having someone in a parade bring you the ring or someone on the stage at a concert saying something was really different. But just so anyone on here doesnt give you or me the lecture about doing it your own way, it would be more romantic thingie, I think you could easily change any of the ideas listed to be more your style. Good luck !

Not to be negative but - DON'T!

Seriously, you are only 5 months into this SCI thing and every couple will tell you there is a "I don't care. I'll love him and take care of him forever." denial stage. Then the reality sets in. With SCI, you and your S.O. will discover that things get worse before they get better.

Things will get better... I think any Quad vet. will tell you it was at least 3 to 5 years before you adapt.

You have so much more healing, rehab and adjusting to do.

I think you and her will regret taking such a serious step so soon.

Just work on loving and supporting one another as gf/bf for now.

I don't want to empty a leg bag on anyone's corn flakes, but that is just MHO.

Best regards and good luck.

Wink

CowboyCrip,

Thanks for the advice, and I've heard others echo the same sentiments. Part of me thinks that I shouldn't really defend my decision, but I wanted to say a few things about our situation. My girlfriend and I lived together before my accident. We weren't really interested in marriage at the time, because we felt it was a bit of a societal construct. I guess I take has changed, but our relationship really hasn't. I have to say that I think I'm doing pretty well all things considered. I'm not depressed and I do foresee a very positive future for my life. I guess what really comes down to is that every relationship is different. There are definitely a smattering of new challenges for us as a couple that come along with my SCI, but I don't see these as harder than I challenges that every married couple will face. It's all about evolving within the context of the relationship.

J.

Hey Jay.....Congrats on your commitment to her. However, I believe you do need to make certain the both of ya'll is ready for what will be a lifetime of hard work. I agree with CowboyCrip. A lotta changing gonna be happening over the next years. I am 6 months post T 7/8 inc., and I've had HUGE changes since busting outta the hospital. I think what would really be important imo is to show her great love, hard work in rehab and at home. I think maybe she should see how determined you are to do for yourself,and that she won't need to carry the heavy load. What CowboyCrip sez is true,very true. You are right that we dont know the real situation between your lucky lady and you. Only ya'll do. And maybe I'm totally full of crap and am worring way too much here. Its just that I saw a lot of heartache in the hospital as people came to grips with the enormous reality of what it takes to care for wheelers. But, still, if ya reckon its "go" time,then the very best of luck to the both of ya'll. Gotta post wedding pics also. Take care,John

Anyway you do it will be special. Go by your heart.
    - Moody

the most meaningful and memorable way to propose is a way only you would think of.
    Death and taxes

Man, you people are rough, but luckily I think I haven't figured out. I'll let everyone know how it goes! Wish me luck.

Well, tell us. How did it go?

I'm still working on getting the ring. Her parents are coming out from New York (to Denver) at the end of the month, so I might do it then. I will definitely let you know how it goes!