Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The flu

The flu

What's the incubation period from exposure? And for those who actually have to go look up the differences between flu (influenza) and pneumonia (like me) can you break down the symptoms? I'm down to a few body aches but last week no amount of Tylenol would keep my fever below 100 and besides the bammer of a headache my teeth hurt! It was like the flu combined with the worst hangover possible. No coughing, no vomiting, just a fever that went to 102 overnight and all the body aches and my brain hurt. If this is this year's flu I'd suggest everyone get their shots.

Incubation of Flu

is 7-10 days after infection. I do not want to scare you but the West Nile Virus has flu-like symptoms. It is a little early for the new flu so I would suggest you go to see your MD to get it checked out.

"And so it begins."

Thanks TD. I did think of that. I know it makes me feel like a hypochondriac but it IS all over the news. But when ever I get mosquito bites I get real big welts. I looked and so did the spouse, none to be found. The high fever just lasted a few days but those aches---ARGH! We did go buy some stuff to spray the yard area with though for the bugs! It's probably a good thing the West Nile virus arrived during the worst of the drought here. You know, I have to call my primary care doc tomorrow about something else. I will mention my bout with "the flu" to see what he says. Thanks again.

Sue, I'm sorry to hear about your flu

As you know I had very bad pnemonia this spring -spend 38 days
    in ICU...My pnemonia was without big fevere, just one
    night my lung collapsed, but I was able to dial 9-11..

You definately should check for W. Nile

==============================
    " They say "Seeing is believing" but the true question is: What do you believe you've seen? Throughout history, the search for faith has lead man to look to the stars and the heavens for answers, but only by looking into ourselves may we truly find it." Outer Limits(Josh)

Sue,

Sorry to hear you got the flu after all the other med stuff you just went through. Maybe you wont get the flu this winter. I hate the flu and the docs always tell you its caused by a virus so they cant treat it with antibiotics.

I heard that pneumonia is now one of the leading causes of death for SCI. i guess we cant fight the symptoms as well because our immune systems, cardiac and aerobic sytems are weakened by being in a wheelchair and lack of exercise.

Get better soon so you can enjoy the fall. Are you or spousal unit Maryland football fans

Joe B
    C6-7

Thanks Max. I keep my pneumonia vaccine up to date because I used to always get bronchitis after just colds. I do know how easy it is for us to get pneumonia too. And no amount of antibiotics work on the flu. But a lot of Tylenol helps. I even took some half doses of cough medicine to keep any secretions nice and loose (yea, gross but healthy according to my doc). I also stay away from anti-histimines that can make it harder to cough junk up. And yes, I remembered how much time you spent in the hospital when you were sick.

I'm hoping that's what this will do, Joe! That's why I was wondering about the incubation period. With all the people returning from different countries coming through our house or the spouse's office I may just be the first of the Fall season's flu victims.

Jay is a football fan and that means any team but Dallas and he watches them hoping they'll lose. His favorite college team is U of Florida. Probaby the Giants for pros. I am a pure and true Packer and Badger fan. Yes, I even have Packer night shirts. Only been to a pre-season game once up at PSINet stadium. Expensive place what with tickets, parking, beer and enough bottled water to keep me cool. Do you get to the Terps or Redskins games? Or are you "an out of towner" too on favorite teams?

Hey Sue, you might ask your doctor to give you a prescription for Liquibid to keep everything nice and loose as far as secretions. I stay on a low dose all the time, but up the dosage to loosen things up when I get flu like symptoms. It really helps to to get all that stuff out of your system. And we are usually on so many other medications that dry us out, it can be a big help.

Boy, did you hit that on the nose Carl. Ditropan alone can dry your lungs and bronchial tubes out. And I am now taking Cholestryamine for that intestinal trouble, off label, and it drys things out even more. I'll ask the doc about the Liquibid. This is weird because at the time I should have been exposed to whatever this is for it to be flu I was on Augmenten for a heavy duty UTI. So I can pretty much rule out bronchitis (I'd have a sore throat and be coughing by now anyway) and pneumonia because I'm not coughing up gross camoflague colors...or any other colors. I think I had the basic flu and treated it the good old fashioned way with lots of hot fluids like cranberry juice-hot, herb teas, decaf coffee and cups of soup. Tylenol chasers and lots of sleep. I must be doing better for it to disappear so fast with no, knock on wood, complications.

And try the black elderberry! You can find it in most health food stores.

Eur Cytokine Netw 2001 Apr-Jun;12(2):290-6

The effect of Sambucol, a black elderberry-based, natural product, on the production of human cytokines: I. Inflammatory cytokines.
    Barak V, Halperin T, Kalickman I.
    Immunology Laboratory for Tumor Diagnosis, Department of Oncology, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel.
    Sambucus nigra L. products - Sambucol - are based on a standardized black elderberry extract. They are natural remedies with antiviral properties, especially against different strains of influenza virus. Sambucol was shown to be effective in vitro against 10 strains of influenza virus. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study, Sambucol reduced the duration of flu symptoms to 3-4 days. Convalescent phase serum showed a higher antibody level to influenza virus in the Sambucol group, than in the control group. The present study aimed to assess the effect of Sambucol products on the healthy immune system - namely, its effect on cytokine production. The production of inflammatory cytokines was tested using blood - derived monocytes from 12 healthy human donors. Adherent monocytes were separated from PBL and incubated with different Sambucol preparations i.e., Sambucol Elderberry Extract, Sambucol Black Elderberry Syrup, Sambucol Immune System and Sambucol for Kids. Production of inflammatory cytokines (IL-1 beta, TNF-alpha, IL-6, IL-8) was significantly increased, mostly by the Sambucol Black Elderberry Extract (2-45 fold), as compared to LPS, a known monocyte activator (3.6-10.7 fold). The most striking increase was noted in TNF-alpha production (44.9 fold). We conclude from this study that, in addition to its antiviral properties, Sambucol Elderberry Extract and its formulations activate the healthy immune system by increasing inflammatory cytokine production. Sambucol might therefore be beneficial to the immune system activation and in the inflammatory process in healthy individuals or in patients with various diseases. Sambucol could also have an immunoprotective or immunostimulatory effect when administered to cancer or AIDS patients, in conjunction with chemotherapeutic or other treatments. In view of the increasing popularity of botanical supplements, such studies and investigations in vitro, in vivo and in clinical trials need to be developed.

Sue,

I am a True Blue Michigan Wolverine fan since childhood. I grew up in and around Ann Arbor. I used to run track on UMs Ferry Field as a high schooler (UM let my school use it for track meets) and practice inside Yost fieldhouse. I went to UM for two years before transferring to Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti (10 miles from Ann Arbor). Its hard to explain to anyone that hasn't experienced it what its like to grow up in a midwest college town. Gail is from Fall River Mass near Boston and was in Ann Arbor while I did my rehab. She was shocked at a 110,000 fans showing up a 1/2 mile from the apartment with blimps and planes flying over the stadium.

You being a Badger fan know what I mean. Ever been to Camp Randall Field? Its nice to have the history they have. By the way, this could be the year the Badgers beat UM, Barry Alvarez might have put it all together. (Its Sat. Nov 16, want to watch it? Gail is a some what converted M fan).

Last year we went to the Terps versus Eastern Michigan Game. Eastern is where I finally graduated. I think the final score was 53-3, Terps. The stadium has accessible seats but I didn't like the where the seats were placed.

Other than college, its hard to follow the Detroit Lions or even the Tigers but I do watch the Redwings. Green Bay is such a small town to have a pro team but they love their Packers and Brett Favre is about as fun and exciting a QB to watch as their ever was.

I do watch the Redskins, not a fan but they are interesting. The highest paid, most talented, team that self-destructs. Jay must hate it that the Redskins always find a way to lose to Dallas no matter how bad Dallas is. At this point, I am loyal to players rather than Pro teams. I liked watching Barry Sanders do his thing with defenses or Joe Montana and John Elway lead the team downfield in the 4th quarter. Last year was interesting when Woodson caused Brady to fumble but the ref ruled it a forward pass. (They should change that rule, once a QB tucks the ball back in the pass is over.) Peyton Manning, Doug Flutie, Darrel Green are great to watch also.

Yeah, most pro games are expensive but college games aren't to bad and basketball games are less expensive than football. The Orioles have a great ballpark in Camden Yards and tickets are $15-40. Went to a game 2 yrs ago, O's vs NY, and had a great time.

Hope this cheers you up

Joe B
    C6-7