Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hourly rate for caregivers

Hourly rate for caregivers

I pay my caregiver 9:00 an hour for 40 hours a week. She takes care of me including bowel treatments, showers, cathing and she does moderate house cleaning. She is a single mom and says she needs 11:50 an hour to make it. Does this sound unreasonable or too much to any of you?

Deb

caregiving

Sounds reasonable to me, if she's doing a good job. Many areas have different "normal" rates, but a reliable, good worker is worth it. Especially if they aren't getting benefits like health insurance, etc.

Ahhh, the squeeze. Been there, done that! You're paying her yourself? She's not from an agency? Do you do taxes for her? Do you know what other private aides in the area are making?

Find out what the agency aides get paid (if you have to, call one and pretend you're interested in applying for an aide job); if it's anything like SC or NJ, when they work through an agency they get between $7-$8/hr. And I'm not sure they get health insurance at agencies, either!

An average raise is between 3-5%; so if you offer her $9.50/hr it would be above the line with the industry.

Are there things you can offer her in lieu of cash? IE, a paid vacation day (s); a weekly gas fill-up; a trip to Costco. Sometimes if you get creative, people appreciate it more, and somehow it seems like yo're doing a lot more than you really are!

Are there things you can offer her in lieu of cash? IE, a paid vacation day (s); a weekly gas fill-up; a trip to Costco. Sometimes if you get creative, people appreciate it more, and somehow it seems like yo're doing a lot more than you really are!

soooooo doubtful.....money is everything. if she does a great job and is reliable, give her the raise...

i pay mine 10.00 an hr they pay thier own taxes 2 hrs a night. i expect them
    to take care of light house keeping but since at shepards. we stretch a lot
    its a little high but its only 2 hrs .its hard to find care giverss that are dependable

I say, if she's worth it, and it sounds like she might be, give her not only $11.50 an hour, but $12.00 an hour, if you can afford it, of course. From knowing friends who need PCAs, I know good aids are hard to come by. If she's doing a good jpb now, I bet she'll do even better after the raise, benefitting you both.

In NJ we pay 9.00 to 10.00 an hr. Always way your options. You might want to draw up a contact.

In California the pay is 9-10 an hour... and the cost of living is waaaaaaayyyy higher.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Wages

My aides are paid $40.00 per day on a non-bowel and $50.00 for a bowel day. Agencies charge 14.00 per hour at a four hour minimum, 56.00 per day. Usually my aides are only here 2-3 hours, they know they have it made. I tried paying through an agency but I could not trust them to be here on time. You get what you pay for.

By State

I am curious where each of you live? Do you work? And what is the earliest your aide needs to be in your home, mine are here around 6 am