Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Femur

Broken Femur

I cracked my femur 3 weeks ago by falling in the shower. Has anyone ever done this and what did they do for you?

They put a brace on me but I still have a lot of swelling, any suggestions?

broken femur

Dear Emmy,
    I broke my femur 4 yrs. ago. I was told I had two options: 1)cast for three months, after which I wouldn't be able to bend it, 2) surgery with pin. I chose surgery, was hospitalized for one week, and was discharged with a knee-bending machine I had to use for a few months. Hope this helps.
    Good luck.
    LMG

hi emmy,

i broke my right femur 1 1/2 year ago. i fell out of my powerchair trying to avoid my dog in the driveway....stupid, huh? lol

they put me in a removable splint, but i had to have surgery because i broke it pretty bad. i had to have a plate and 12 screws to put it back together.

i had swelling for about 3 months after i broke it. bones take forever to heal.

here is a pic of my splint:
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach

aww shannon

cute toes tho...lol

i hope u heal up soon emmy..keep us posted

Emmy, I'm sure yours will be much easier to heal than mine. While a bit tipsy in '79 I fell down a flight of stairs coming from upstairs bar. Spiral fracture of my left femur. I think it hurt like hell but my senses were a tad bit numbed.

So I drove home an hour later, stayed in bed for a day and a half then decided I'd better go have it checked. By this time it was swollen to about twice the normal size and was throbbing.

They put two rods thru my leg and femur about 3" above the knee combined with a cast from knee to hip. The swelling went down after the surgery and my leg was suspended by these 2 rods. And I was screaming!

They took that cast off a week later and put on a smaller one. For 3 months I fought with the Dr.s about the cast. I could wiggle both rods, they drained constantly and stunk to high heaven. I used to put "stick-ups" under my chair to help with the funk! Finally after no healing had taken place after almost 4 months, the cast guy convinced the Dr. to put on a full length cast. 2 months later I was completely healed.

They didn't have the fancy braces back then, the dark ages

Good luck with it, it'll be a pain regardless.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

My orthopedic surgeon said he would not do surgery because my femur was too brittle to put in screws. He put my leg in a removable brace for three months, which obviously meant I couldn't bend my knee at all.
    My leg ended up healing crooked and is an inch or more shorter than the other. No, its not the end of the world and is probably not as noticible sitting down vs. if I was walking, but looking back I should have gotten a second opinion on the whole surgery option. Good luck to you and get well!

Cynthia

para looking for sunshine somewhere!

hi, t8 para who has a complete distal femoral fracture. 25 years post injury so bone has really low bmd or oeteoporotic. it has been four weeks and no change in bone displacement and a tiny bit of growth of callus per the doc. i am in long beach splint. no one seems ot want to do surgery.

any thoughts?

the shower and bathroom usuage are impossible without help, or do i just have no skills? be nice!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deltacub View Post
    hi, t8 para who has a complete distal femoral fracture. 25 years post injury so bone has really low bmd or oeteoporotic. it has been four weeks and no change in bone displacement and a tiny bit of growth of callus per the doc. i am in long beach splint. no one seems ot want to do surgery.

any thoughts?

the shower and bathroom usuage are impossible without help, or do i just have no skills? be nice!

thanks
    I took a forward fall in a new chair that wasn't set up right back in 01'. I broke left distal femur snapped in half , when I first went to hospital ER doctor called ortho and they said to wrap my leg and send me home . I thought they were joking and told them so. ( looking back I have wondered if it was because my insurance card back where I had gotten x-rayed) anyway I ended up getting admitted saw an ortho the next day and we agreed a putting rod from hip to knee was best , IM Nail procedure . It was slow healing and I had soft cast . ( My right tin fib was broken also , both legs) what finally jump started my healing was electronic bone growth stimulators , both legs, required discipline of putting them on for about 8 hours each day but was well worth it.

I was right at about 25 years post injury when that happened and has held up well for 11 plus years .

I had a tib / fib fracture at about 10 years post , totally my fault and a story very similar to Deadeye's above... but I'm not going to go there .

The electronic bone growth stimulators made a believer out of me. You may want to discuss with your doc iic it hasn't come up already. Good luck.

We used the bone growth stimulators on our dog after TPLO surgery. They've gotten smaller and need less time with it.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Unfortunately it is not uncommon for surgeons to not want to do surgery on this type of injury for the reasons you are already experiencing - slow healing and osteoporosis. Also, putting in rods and nails can inhibit your independence. Bone growth stimulators are an option to consider. I would encourage you to speak with your orthopod about it.
    CKF