Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Length of Outpatient PT

Length of Outpatient PT

I was wondering how long other people spent in a formal outpatient PT program. Mainly because of my insurance, I only did outpatient PT for 3 months after coming home from rehab. I try to do some therapy at home, but of course am not too disciplined about it. I do do my ROM every morning but that is the only thing I'm consistent about doing. I am T12/L1 fairly complete, 16 months post. The reason I'm asking is because over the past few months I've noticed some sensory changes, such as being able to feel my bladder, and am wondering if I could be having some motor return too which I'm unaware of due to inactivity. My insurance hasn't changed so I'm wondering what I should do or what type of home based therapy would help me determine my motor ability. I'm starting to think I should have had a lot more outpatient PT than I did. Any feedback would be appreciated!

I wonder too... I know its very different here in Canada...I was in rehab for 3.5 months, then outpatient OT a few times. I'd like to do more, but have no resources.

I was in out-patient OT and PT about 9 months. I finished about 1 year after my injury. C5/6 - USA

OT and PT

It should be done as long as your insurance will pay for it. My son is 18 months past his accident and we still go 2X/week.

Emi

Have your doctor write you a prescription for out-patient re-hab. Tell him you need to be stretched or you need cardio training or whatever. We explained that it will keep my son healthy and out of the hospital. This approach worked for him. Luckily, we have a very level headed doctor.

Originally posted by jway2002:

Have your doctor write you a prescription for out-patient re-hab. Tell him you need to be stretched or you need cardio training or whatever. We explained that it will keep my son healthy and out of the hospital. This approach worked for him. Luckily, we have a very level headed doctor.
    Thanks! I'll try! Now finding time to do it could be hard....

Unfortunately, a great deal of your outpatient PT will depend on how much more progress your therapist believes you can make. There are variables they take into account but the therapist has the final decision. If he/she believes you would not benefit further from more PT then your insurance company will cut you off.

"And so it begins."

continuing PT

My Daughter who is 20 months post-injury and almost 16 years old has been in outpatient PT pretty consistantly since injury. I believe it has benifited her alot, and I don't believe she would be walking nearly as well as she is had we been left on our own. It was she and the PT that would discover new return, and work to optimize it. The PT's have also been great help in helping her deal with the chronic pain and even some of the social issues she has faced.

we are fortunate to have an insurance plan that allows 60 threapy visits each year with almost no questions asked as long as the doc writes the PT script. She went 4x weekly for three months right after discharge, and 2x weekly for about 6 months after that. She now goes two or three times monthly, for 45 minutes. They call them 'tune-ups'

M.Elston Mother of a teen who no longer wishes to be identified by her injury. **rolling eyes**

Almost 8 years worth starting with 5 days a week of PT and OT and then down after a second inpatient stay to 3 times a week of PT with OT as things came up that needed addressd.

I am also T/12 L/1 and I have never had any outpatint PT. It's been 15 years for me. I was an inpatient for about 2 months, then they sent me on my merry way and I never went back. I use to think over the years that I should've had more. I always felt there was so much that they didn't tell me. But I was made to feel as though I were totally on my own. They did their part, that's all they seemed to care about.

If you have the option of more outpatient PT, then by all means, I think you should go for it. If your insurance co. is willing to pay for it, you should get all the benefits.