Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatigue and Depression

Fatigue and Depression

After almost 19yrs with TM, it is starting to drag me down on all counts. Emotionally, physically. I know I'm hurting myself with full-time shift work, but I never thought I would be this exhausted at 31.

Monday morning at 7am I finished midnights. I woke up a few times, but I stayed in bed until 4am Wednesday. It's really starting to hit me hard and I'm getting scared. This will only get worse I presume?

Anyone else with TM experience this?

I've gotta keep going ... I have my car to pay for and I was in the middle of buying a house. Should I consider anti-depressants or is there something that can spruce up my energy?

Hi,Lynnifer, you are the first person with myelitis i have ever contacted,am justbeginning. i have a p.c.now,so iplan to get really active ,helping others i hope. i "hear you ".I am 57,i was "struck"in 1979,acute attack,came on fast, was paralized.I was "prayed for'by a church,all around the world.I THINK IT WORKED,i am walking now. BUT have had years of misery.please write back to me maybe i can help, hope so.I do know that muscles unused "really want to attrophy. i will get back to you later to day,ok....you are not alone,!!!!!!!

Hang in there Lynnifer, I am also 18-19 yrs. into TM and while everybody has their own level of recovery, I think it does get better! Like you I have to work long hours and some days are better than others...I just try to remember that tomorrow is another day. Good Luck!

B

Lynnifer
    this is just something to think about. I don't have TM, but I had a very bad motorcycle accident, I was off work for 6 month's I had to go back to keep my insurance active. But I was injured pretty bad! My Dr. kept telling me all I was doing working was tearing up what I had left, finally after a year I took her advice. I am not nearly as tired now but I still have all the pain, when it get's to hurting too bad I just ly down for a little while then get up and go again. Just remember this " DON'T TEAR UP WHAT YOU HAVE" hope it help's a little
    Doug

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Hi, I am moving this over to the Life forum where more people can see it. Wise

Lynnifer,I think I recall that you have been having some on-going health problems. I just remember working split shifts, rotating shifts, 12 hour shifts, night shifts and not realizing how much it took out of me till I stopped. I also realize that it isn't always possible to change that situation. Just a heads up to that maybe being a contributing factor. My mood and outlook really improved with more stable hours. Even went to straight night shift to get a regularity of sleep, and get away from hectic day shift. Nights were crazier in the ER but more autonomy and interest. You have a lot of irons in the fire, try to take care.

It sounds like you need to take some time for you lynnifer.I know that there are bills to pay and stuff like that but workin yourself into the ground is obviously hurting ''you'' and ''you'' are more important than stuff.Take it easy on yourself,nothing is more important than ''you''

~Never mistake motion for action~-Ernest Hemmingway

Thank you for the concern. I finished up my IV antibiotics that I had been on since May 21st or 22nd. I just have the actual catheter and lumen still stuck under my armpit as the doc is on vacation. It should come out August 9th.

I took a heck of a lot of my vacation and time owed off at work this summer. I took six sick days. I still have nine left (we're allowed to bank from year to year to a maximum of 35). While it blows that I wasted my vacation away, I was also forced to get a lot of sleep which has done me a lot of good.

I had success, finally, with my doctor yesterday after I showed him an article from Johns Hopkins linking depression to Transverse myelitis. I've started on half a pill of Celexa and the fact that I'M DOING SOMETHING about the depression has already made me feel better - like something is getting accomplished.

I just need to exercise more and release some of those good endorphins. Until they come up with a pill for that ...

Kidding ...

Lynn, Jim is on 1/2 of a Celexa/day also, and it sure helps him to sleep at night. So I hope your improvement continues. Sunshine helps also! Eat well, drink lots and a multivit would help build you back too.

Eating well is sooooo important. Lots of raw foods, sprouts, nuts, and fruit. Also, a teaspoon of fresh bee pollen is an excellent kick.

peace