Thread: Your advice: should I take my powerchair on an Airplane?

Question Your advice: should I take my powerchair on an Airplane?

I’m planning a holiday with the family for a few days in Edmonton Alberta by Air Canada and will travel by air. I’ve heard here before that people had their powerchairs damaged by the luggage handlers and would not bring their powerchair on an airplane again – it this true?

I have a manual chair but require someone to push me around – I prefer the powerchair so I can be independent and need not burden my family members.

Any advice regarding this will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance;

Yaw.

I haven't travelled with my powerchair but I do live in Edmonton. If you have any questions I'd be glad to try to help.

There is a lot of info about travelling w/ powerchairs. Surely if you follow all the tips it should be ok? The independence outweighs the risks to me.

Some of the tips were to label everything, like this side up, put instructions on it, like DO NOT REMOVE BATTERY etc, remove and carry all detachable parts, wrap joysticks etc up w/ bubblewrap.

The Edmonton Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2
    I haven't travelled with my powerchair but I do live in Edmonton. If you have any questions I'd be glad to try to help.
    Thanks for your reply. I plan to visit the world famous mall with my family of 4 (2 kids)

1. How wheelchair friendly is the Mall and surrounding area?
    2. What hotels would you recommend at a moderate price?
    3. How many days does it take to enjoy the mall?
    4. Would you highly recommend someone that it’s worth it to visit? (I figure about $5000 plus by air for 3 days)

Thanks betheny, I agree I'll take a little risk for my independence too.

Yaw
    Last edited by Yaw; 07-29-2005 at 09:23 AM.

If you can remove your control box and joy stick, do so, and take them as part of your carry-on luggage. Wrapping in bubble wrap won't protect it enough, and this is the most commonly damaged item on a power chair. Also, be sure to put your chair together and run it through all its paces before leaving the airport, and file a claim immediately if any damage is found.

(KLD)

Be sure you have gel/dry cell batteries, the lead-acid/wet cell type are not allowed w/o special packing.

Also, after suffering damage to my chair on more than one occasion, i starting bringing the joystick and footrests on board with me. They're usually able to find space for them.

I hope you have a safe trip. please let us know how it went.

p.s. - Don't forget your charger.
    Last edited by weeler; 07-30-2005 at 08:20 PM.

1. How wheelchair friendly is the Mall and surrounding area? The mall is very wheelchair friendly, lots of elevators a pretty decent bathrooms. I haven't gone on the rides at Galaxyland but I hear that they will accomadate wheelers.
    2. What hotels would you recommend at a moderate price? I haven't stayed in a hotel here but I hear the Fantasyland in West Ed. Mall is quite expensive but you might want to check it out. Other than that I'd stick with Best Western etc. Get something close to the mall as wheelchair taxis here suck. Yellow Cab has one but you need to book in advance. Public transit is pretty accesible though.
    3. How many days does it take to enjoy the mall? If you are mostly shopping, 1 or maybe 2 but if you want to go to the Attractions 2 or 3 days is best.
    4. Would you highly recommend someone that it’s worth it to visit? (I figure about $5000 plus by air for 3 days). Depends how much you like malls! How old are your kids? They would definitely enjoy the attractions. Myself personally, and most Edmontonions, hate the mall but I remember quite enjoying it when we visited when I was 9 and 14. Friends who visit me enjoy it too.

What dates are you coming? The Fringe festoval is coming in August http://www.fringetheatreadventures.c....php/festival/
    -its pretty cool and just a 30-40 minute busride from the mall (just 1 bus)
    -even if you don't come to it, I'd reccomend going down to Whyte Avenue some evening for dinner. Its an older area so not amazing for accessibility but not so horible. Its my favourite area.

Heres the public transit website http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server...D=218&PageID=0

And West Ed. Malls
    http://www.westedmall.com/wemboardin...category&cp=19

Anyhow, if you have anymore questions just ask!

Thanks betheny, I agree I'll take a little risk for my independence too.