Thread: Need Caregiver for a week in September

Need Caregiver for a week in September

Taking a long shot in the dark here, I think - but does anyone know of a caregiver/PCA that is available for one week in September? We are in Bergen County, NJ - Dennis needs someone who can do his BP with him for 6 days while our parents go on a much needed well deserved vacation.

He is C5/6 and cannot help in the BP at all. He is not comfortable with any of our brothers or myself helping him with it.

He does have someone who comes in 6 days a week to help him shower, stretch, get dressed - the other basic daily needs, but this person does not do the BP and Dennis does not want him to.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Meg (book-sis)
    Taking a long shot in the dark here, I think - but does anyone know of a caregiver/PCA that is available for one week in September? We are in Bergen County, NJ - Dennis needs someone who can do his BP with him for 6 days while our parents go on a much needed well deserved vacation.

He is C5/6 and cannot help in the BP at all. He is not comfortable with any of our brothers or myself helping him with it.

He does have someone who comes in 6 days a week to help him shower, stretch, get dressed - the other basic daily needs, but this person does not do the BP and Dennis does not want him to.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Meg
    I don't know anyone in that area, but have you tried home health agencies / traveling nurses type of things? Just a thought. I can understand him being squirmish about BP, it's a big "hurdle" to get over mentally for many people. But it may be worth a heart to heart with him about how you wouldn't think any worse of him if you did it, etc, etc, so that you (or your brothers) could be a backup caregiver, which is *always* a good idea, even in situations not like this one.

Good luck!

Ami
    (chad's wife, C4 complete since 1988)
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager