Thread: tempurpedic or generic visco elastic memory foam

tempurpedic or generic visco elastic memory foam

I am rethinking my current 3 yr old pillow top mattress- it's way too heavy for my caregivers to flip/rotate. As a result, I am sleeping in an indent for too long.
    I have slept wonderfully on a tempurpedic about 8-10 times and am considering purchasing one. Is there enough justification for one where prevention of pressure sores are concerned, i.e. any data?? Anyone have any experience with one?

after my second accident, my doctor recommended tempur-pedic.

i did the 120 day trial, and then purchased it. That was 2001, and I still ahave it. Doesn't need flipped/rotated. I have learned that there is a difference in memory foams and not all are created equal.

i have had a decrease in pain since getting it, and spend days in bed with no problems.

here's some information on Tempur-Pedic from Spine universe.
    http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...ticle2058.html

I have a thick mattress pad on the bed also. And, in the winter it's hard (if house temp is below 65F) to start until the mattress warms up. Since I am in NW Montana this is an issue. I fixed it by putting an electric blanket on the bed and warming the bed 15-30 min prior to bedtime. My back seizes up on me if I get into a cold bed anyway, so that works out for me.

Pressure reduction is acceptable (and have not seen any indication that TemperPedic is any better than generic viscoelastic), but there are several drawbacks. Cost is one, esp. if buying a full mattress/bed versus a 3-4" overlay. Of course overlays make the bed higher so this a consideration for transfers for some.

Some people find the way you sink in and are enveloped by the mattress difficult as it can make it much harder to turn after laying in one position for a while. I also know a few people who felt that the heat retention was too much (they sweat where they sank into the foam).

(KLD)

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

I also know a few people who felt that the heat retention was too much (they sweat where they sank into the foam).

(KLD)
    I put the egg crate foam pad on the bed in the summer time and it helps with that. The summers here average about 80-85. 90 is a heatwave, and in the evenings we still wear jackets since the air gets so cool. It might be different for someone in a warmer climate.