Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My employer is looking to help sponsor a charity

Smile My employer is looking to help sponsor a charity

Hi all.

I was hoping you could help me with some ideas. I work for a very large public corporation based out of Redbank NJ, with one of its divisions (my office) based in Palm Beach. The activities committee had asked the 250 employees at my office for nominations of specific charities that would benefit from our help. I nominated the Spinal Cord Injury Project at Rutgers and the Miami Project and both organizations were selected as finalists. The next step is to have each of the 10 people who nominated the finalist present why their nominee should "win" and what could we possibly do to help.

I was asked to come up with ways that we could help raise funds to help and what specific area of that organization should benefit. Any suggestions? I thought the community that would benefit would be a great resource.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks

Christina-

I think I love you. You're a mover and a shaker.

I'm not sure what kind of input you're after, but wanted to say thanks!

Hi Betheny

Thanks. I just want to help in any way I can. There were over 100 different organizations nominated and thought this was a great opportunity to get others involved. I was so happy to see that these two made the first two rounds of cuts.

What I am looking for are ideas that anyone can think of that would generate awareness and funds. Maybe a roll-a-thon. Getting the community involved on bikes, blades and wheelchairs and sponsor laps around town.

I really need ideas. I would like to wow the committee with originality and come up with a way to raise funds.

I need to report back to them by Monday. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Christina, you are a jewel. Over the years, I have seen more innovative fund-raising for spinal cord injury than any other field. Let's continue that tradition. Here are two ideas that I don't think have been tried before and perhaps others can contribute better ones:
    An SCI Jokathon. For example, one of my all-time favorite topics on CareCure is one in which people posted what they say to their legs (http://carecure.org/forum/showthread...=talking+legs). It was so funny and touching that I did not know whether to laugh or cry. We can get more submissions of what people with spinal cord injury say to their legs, get Garrison Keillor of Prairie Home Companion to host the jokathon and tell a joke for each caller who donates.
    An SCI Visa/Mastercharge card where a portion of the charge is donated to spinal cord injury research. I am sure that there will be lots of credit card companies that would be very anxious to offer such a card. Of course, it would have to be designed by a very cool designer.

Wise.

Just let me know if this is in bad taste/unsuitable, however...

Why not go in to the main conference room in your office, and set out 250 chairs. Get all the ABs (or perhaps just representatives from each department) to sit down at 12 noon, and nobody is allowed to get up and go for a walk, stretch, exercise, or eat unaided until 6pm.

At 6pm everybody gets up, and is very glad that they can.

All the 250 employees could get sponsorship from their friends/family to achieve this feat.

That would raise awareness (in a tiny way) of what being stuck in a chair must be like, and I think the ABs may be inclined to be more aware of the need to progress SCI cure.

Look at the overhead administrative type costs of each charity to help determine where the money goes. This site may go under admin cost for the SCI Project, I'm not sure. And no, I do not know the overhead on the two organzations.

For events? I think two of the most popular events in my area are the Black Tie Chocolate Ball for the local ARC (Association of Retarded Citizens) and much less formal concert in downtown Baltimore for Cystic Fibrosis. For so many years this was always the country rock group Alabama. They retired last year and Brad Paisley has taken their place. You want a good old fun time that everyone can get into band or singer. With the new therapies you also have to be aware of music's political groups. The musicians who make up MuzikMafia would probably be a good bet.

Wise, I like the Garrison Keillor idea too! Love his program and books. Iowa must have rubbed off on you. LOL
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Lightbulb

Hi again

Wise - Thanks for sharing the talking to your legs link. I was touched. Would anyone be offended if I copy paste them to help get the message across to others? It would also be great to get the thread started again and add some more posts. The comments reminded me of an incident with Walter when we first started dating I remember going shoe shopping with him and as I helped the salesperson get Walter's shoe off, it hit me that the soles of his shoes never wear out. I looked at Walter and he just started laughing and said "Aren't you jealous I never wear out my favorite shoes". It was sad and funny at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    An SCI Visa/Mastercharge card where a portion of the charge is donated to spinal cord injury research. I am sure that there will be lots of credit card companies that would be very anxious to offer such a card. Of course, it would have to be designed by a very cool designer.

Wise.
    I took your hint and sent an email to "a very cool designer". Let's wait and see. I will follow up with him in a few days. I hope you don't mind but I quoted you :-).

Thanks for the responses Sue and Tom. I will add them to my (sigh) very short list :-( I would love to hear more ideas.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by sci lapel pin
    Hi all.

I nominated the Spinal Cord Injury Project at Rutgers and the Miami Project and both organizations were selected as finalists. The next step is to have each of the 10 people who nominated the finalist present why their nominee should "win" and what could we possibly do to help.

I was asked to come up with ways that we could help raise funds to help and what specific area of that organization should benefit. Any suggestions? I thought the community that would benefit would be a great resource.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks
    As you said your company has a division based in Palm Beach.....so you could make the case that helping the Miami Project helps your direct community. Also the Miami Project reported some great results with rats making a 70% recovery and they seem poised to start clinical trials on humans in the near future!!!!( they have an existing infrastructure to do so, which does not seem to be the case with the Keck foundation).
    Since I am a floridian and have had contact with some of their devoted researchers like Adelle Field Fote, I want to give the Miami Project my personal recommendation!
    I am sure the Keck foundation has equally dedicated researchers and have great respect for Dr. Young, but I have not come across any major publication nor heard of any plans for clinical trials from the Keck foundation......

Thanks,
    Faye

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Faye,

The W. M. Keck Foundation is not the same as the Spinal Cord Injury Project at the W. M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Faye,

The W. M. Keck Foundation is not the same as the Spinal Cord Injury Project at the W. M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience.

Wise.
    Sorry, I meant the W.M. Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience.

As you said your company has a division based in Palm Beach.....so you could make the case that helping the Miami Project helps your direct community. Also the Miami Project reported some great results with rats making a 70% recovery and they seem poised to start clinical trials on humans in the near future!!!!( they have an existing infrastructure to do so, which does not seem to be the case with the Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience).
    Since I am a floridian and have had contact with some of their devoted researchers like Adelle Field Fote, I want to give the Miami Project my personal recommendation!
    I am sure the Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience has equally dedicated researchers and I have great respect for Dr. Young, but I have not come across any major publication nor heard of any plans for clinical trials from the Keck Center......

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl