Thread: Dietary Fiber Does Help Prevent Colon Cancer

Wink Dietary Fiber Does Help Prevent Colon Cancer

Dietary Fiber Does Help Prevent Colon Cancer

Libraries
    Medical News Keywords
    HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL, HARVARD HEALTH PUBLICATIONS, HARVARD MEN'S HEALTH WATCH, FIBER, COLON CANCER Contact Information

Available for logged-in reporters onlyDescription

Colon cancer takes the lives of more than 28,540 American men each year, and it kills nearly as many women. New studies show that dietary fiber, previously thought to not aid against colon cancer, has a large role in preventing it.

Newswise — Colon cancer takes the lives of more than 28,540 American men each year, and it kills nearly as many women, placing it second only to lung cancer on the list of cancer killers. New studies show that dietary fiber, previously thought to not aid against colon cancer, has a large role in preventing it, according to the August issue of the Harvard Men's Health Watch from Harvard Medical School.

Many studies have shown other benefits of fiber as well, such as reducing the risk of diabetes, intestinal problems, and heart disease. A Harvard study, for example, found that over six years, the men who ate the most fiber (averaging 28.9 grams a day) had 41% fewer heart attacks compared with the men who ate the least. Scientists have also linked a high-fiber diet to a 42% reduction in the risk of diverticulosis. That’s a big benefit, since half of all Americans over age 60 have this intestinal condition.

The Institutes of Medicine have set new daily fiber intake targets for men at 38 grams for those under 50 and 30 grams for men over 50. That’s more than twice the amount in the average diet, but if the scientists are right, eating that much fiber could reduce the risk of colon cancer by 40%, reports the Harvard Men’s Health Watch.

"You stand to gain a lot from dietary fiber, but to get all these benefits, you need to eat a good mix of high-fiber foods," says Dr. Harvey Simon, editor in chief of the Harvard Men's Health Watch. Fiber is found in abundance in vegetable products such as the bran of whole grains, the leaves and stems of plants, and nuts, seeds, fruits, and vegetables.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/513337/

Colon cancer could conceivably be a pain in the ass.

On topic: why should this not be fairly obvious; if the bowel is kept loose and active and relatively clean through habitual high fiber in the diet you'll be far less likely to develop a disease that thrives on/in a bowel at the other end of the dietary fiber spectrum. Likely entrenched opinion and interests account for the ignorance here and why should it any exception.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Most of us don't eat the required amounts of fiber needed daily for a healthy diet, due to this fact, and family history (my father died from colon cancer), my family doctor advised me to use Metamucil (or something similar) every day.

It is still best to eat a high fiber diet, it's suppose to be good for keeping your cholesterol down too. Not that it's worked for me.

Benefiber is good

A good way to get your daily dietary fiber is with Benefiber. It also help lower cholesterol. - Piper Longpen

Bowel Movements

...And it helps you poo, like dch.

Colon Cancer is a aggressive cancer and many times it spreads like wild fire .

My mother had all sorts of problems with her intestines , she had the poopbag on the side
    She had Diverticulitis and polyps .
    My Brother he has pretty serious Diverticulitis and me I dont know and dont want to know ...

I looked into my family tree 7 yrs back and my great uncle died of Constipation

The undue stresses our crippled bodies endure is = to 4x what a normal person goes through .

I am in my good years sort of up there in age and by golly I just started having super intestinal bowel problems with my constipation but I am working on my personal healthy food regime to abide by and I feel much better so far ...

They proclaim it is from my high injury level but I just know my body and I will do whatever it takes to avoid not being regular .

The easiest part of a good health program is starting it
    The hardest part of these health programs is sticking to the healthy diet lol .

Diverticulitis runs rampid in my family and I always tried bto do the opposites from hem so it wouldnt happen to me and I definitely do not need any more problems

I love yogurt ....

Niterz
    Gypsylady