Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: valium dosage?

valium dosage?

I've been discussing valium with my doctor, as we continue to try to find something to make me feel like I'm not totally tight and cramped in my abdomen and back. I know valium helps some people with actual spasms, but spasticity is not a big problem for me - it's much more the feeling of tightness than actual muscle tightness. Anyway, I was just wondering what dosages of valium those that use it are taking.

With non-descript, not too bad, problems you describe I'd really advise against starting to take valium on a regular basis. It's a serious and potent sedative that can lead to dependency problems.

I take 10mg once a day, at bedtime. That helps me get to sleep and takes care of my spasms. That's the only meds I take, for 17 years. Don't need any thing else for spasms.

Just my $.02

valium dosage

Alan - I would suggest that, if you decide to start valium, that you begin with the lowest possible dosage. It may take only a small amount to offer some comfort and relief; if not, then either the frequency or dosage could be increased. CRF

Valium and I

I take 10mg once a day, at bedtime. That helps me get to sleep and takes care of my spasms. That's the only meds I take, for 17 years. Don't need any thing else for spasms.
    I am down to the same dosage as Dougie. I am twenty four years post and didn't take anything stronger than tylenol until about twelve years ago. I had started working and had been going to school ... in other words sitting in one spot much longer than wheeling around... this caused a lot of spacicity and pain.

I now feel it just ain't natural to be so sedentary / all mental and no physical. I was using up to 30 mgs. a day and also seeking relief from baclofen and a number of other things at different times.

I am down to the 10 mg at night and really waiting for the right time to make changes and get off valium. It is tough and I think has a pretty long half life in your system.

If I had it to do over again I would not touch the stuff. My doctor was real liberal with it, but it was my choice. I have built up a tolerance and even though I am down to a fairly low dosage I feel it effects quality of my rest, memory, dreaming and mentally makes me foggy.

I feel like I want 100% my brain back.

With all that said I agree with crag. Think long and hard before you go on it. Do some research on effects and withdrawal.

I would look in to possible causes like seating position, exercise , ROM and treat it natural.

Just my opinion...
    Paul

Dude, you're getting dull...

Alan, when are you going to get off the drugs? Valium, methadone, oxycontin, baclofen, 4ap, valeriian root (this is just in the past couple days) etc., etc., etc. All you whine about is scoring the "drug du jour". I don't know who you think you are kidding. I'm not anti-buzz on by a long shot. Drugs are apparently a lifestyle and obsession for your hypochondriacal existence. That ain't cool dude-it's irresponsible and cowardly.

I'm probably using less drugs than you, since I'm not taking anything other than stool softeners and senna at present. Drugs are far from a lifestyle for me, as I'm sure is the case for everyone else on this site who takes prescription meds for pain, spasticity, bladder, bowel, etc.. Proper medication is no different than any other thing (wheelchair, adaptive equipment) that enables us to live to the fullest in our condition.

SCI Nurse, do you concur with my last statement? Am I doing something wrong by seeking effective medication, and asking about it here, among peers and persons with medical experience, such as yourselves?

valium dosage

Alan writes, "Proper medication is no different than any other thing (wheelchair, adaptive equipment) that enables us to live to the fullest in our condition.

SCI Nurse, do you concur with my last statement? Am I doing something wrong by seeking effective medication, and asking about it here, among peers and persons with medical experience, such as yourselves?"

Yes, I would concur with your last statement. I also urge those of you responding to the post of another to offer constructive and positive responses. Please avoid being judgmental and unnecessarily critical.

It is important for all of us to remember, professionals and those with SCI, that each injury is unique unto that individual. While you may experience similar problems, the solutions are as varied as we are as individuals. This is true for both the non-disabled person and the person with SCI. Yet, for the latter, that is compounded by the presence of a SCI. Whether it is a cold, the flu, a broken bone, spasticity, pain, etc., we seek medical care to try to correct and alleviate whatever the condition/problem/complication is with the goal to restore us to an improved and/or healthy state of well-being. The majority of people would prefer not to take medications, however, inherent in this process and goal may be the need to take medications or other treatment regimens. CRF

drugs

Alan,
    I know from your posts that you have possible neuropathic pain, severe scoliosis and have to be belted in your chair. I've heard you say you'd be happy just being a quad if the never ending painwould leave and you have,I believe, an elderly mom helping you. If you can find a drug that helps, take it. If they improve the quality of life that's what counts. I ran out of my pain meds on a weekend and I was close to tears from the pain by Monday. I am opiate dependent like a diabetic is insulin dependent. If I didn't have a Baclofen pump I'd be flopping around like a goldfish on the floor.I function just fine with fentanyl, darvocet, xanax for pain and florinef for low B.P. If it were not for these drugs I could not function. Do I enjoy them? No. I can't even have a beer. Some self righteous types should just be thankful they don't need them. It reminds me of the people we all have met who have been in a wheelchair or have a friend that was in a chair who walked through sheer grit and self determination. They look you in the eye and tell you they know what it's like, as ifyou could do it, you just don't try hard enough B.S. they walked because their injury wasn't as severe. Kind of like "you wouldn't need those drugs if you were as tough as me".WR

P.S.

I forgot to respond to your question. I was on valium, demerol baclofen etc. before my pump and my valium dose was .10mg 2x a day. I was on it for months and after the pump, I haven't had any and don't miss it.WR