Thread: 16th British Open Wheelchair Tennis Championships

16th British Open Wheelchair Tennis Championships

(26th - 31st July 2005)

» Draws & Results

Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Gloucester, Honorary President of the Lawn Tennis Association, will attend the British Open Wheelchair Tennis Championships at the City of Nottingham Tennis Centre, Nottingham on Friday, 29th July.

It is the second time in four years that The Duchess of Gloucester has visited the Championships, her last previous visit coming in 2002.

The Duchess is scheduled to meet a selection of tournament staff and officials representing the British Tennis Foundation and the City of Nottingham Tennis Centre on her arrival before watching one of the day's feature matches taking place on one of the show courts.

Before leaving the City of Nottingham Tennis Centre, the Duchess will receive a posy from 16-year-old Anna Tarkowski, one of Great Britain's leading junior wheelchair tennis players. Over the last four years, Anna has developed through the NEC Wheelchair Tennis Camps organised by the British Tennis Foundation at the City of Nottingham Tennis Centre each spring.

Earlier this year Anna made her debut on the junior and senior world rankings published by the International Tennis Federation and last month she won her senior call-up to play for the GB Women's Team in the Invacare World Team Cup, the Davis and Fed Cups of wheelchair tennis.

http://www.lta.org.uk/News/BritishNe...hairTennis.htm

(26th - 31st July 2005)

» Draws & Results

The Women’s Main Draw Singles quarter-finals took centre stage on Thursday as rain forced matches indoors for the third day’s play at the 16th British Open Wheelchair Tennis Championships, part of the NEC Wheelchair Tennis Tour, at the City of Nottingham Tennis Centre.

With the eight seeded players in the Women’s Main Draw first up in the schedule, World No 1 and two-time Paralympic champion Esther Vergeer of the Netherlands maintained her phenomenal unbeaten record as she bids for a possible fifth consecutive British Open title.

Top seed Vergeer saw her compatriot and fifth seed Korie Homan save a strong of set points in the first set, but the Sydney and Athens Paralympic Games Gold medallist kept up her relentless pressure to secure a 6-3, 6-3 win.

“It was not the best match for either of us as playing indoors meant the light was a little more difficult and my timing was not great, but I am glad to have won again” said Vergeer, who has only lost one just match in five years and is undefeated at the British Open since losing the 2000 final to fellow Dutchwoman Sonja Peters.

However, Peters will not have the chance of repeating that victory after this year’s sixth seed lost the day’s only three set quarter-final to French fourth seed Florence Gravellier. Peters was in splendid form in the first set against Gravellier and took a 5-1 lead before finally taking the set. However, World No 5 Gravellier battled back in the second set and a double fault from Peters finally gave the Frenchwoman level and at a set apiece.

The final set saw Gravellier gain a slight advantage from the start and she consolidated a service break to take a 5-3 lead and serve for the set. However, despite having two match points on her own serve, it was not until a third match point in Peter’s next service game that Gravellier was able to wrap up a 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory.

“I was hitting quite a lot of top spin balls in the first set and Sonja was doing well off them, so I changed to more slices in the second set and I also started to serve better, which made a big difference,” said Gravellier afterwards.

“The final set was tight and after dropping the two match points on my own serve I knew I had to convert the one I had one Sonja’s serve as I thought I might not get another chance after that. Thankfully it worked,” added the Frenchwoman, who will now play Vergeer in Friday’s semi-finals.

The other semi-final will be between second seed Sharon Walraven and her fellow Dutch third seed Maaike Smit. After a severe three set test at the hands of unseeded Belgian teenager Annick Sevenans on Wednesday, Walraven had a much easier time of it against another Belgian, seventh seed Brigitte Ameryckx, in her quarter-final, the Dutchwoman easing to a 6-4, 6-2 victory. Meanwhile, Smit had little trouble in defeating British eighth seed Janet McMorran (Bromyard, Herefordshire & Worcestershire) in the last eight 6-1, 6-2 in her semi-final.

The last remaining quarter-final to be played in the Quad Main Draw Singles produced another three set match, with third seed Monique De Beer of the Netherlands coming from behind to beat Shraga Weinberg of Israel 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 after a fortuitous net cord on match point.

(26th - 31st July 2005)

» Draws & Results

David Hall of Australia beat Michael Jeremiasz of France on Sunday to win his seventh British Open Men’s Main Draw Singles title as the 16th British Open Wheelchair Tennis Championships, part of the NEC Wheelchair Tennis Tour, drew to a fascinating close at the City of Nottingham Tennis Centre.

A rematch of last year’s title decider, this year’s final began with neither player able to hold serve for the first six games of the first set, but a marathon seventh game that included a strong of deuce points ended with Hall finally holding to take 4-3. From there on the Australian top seed and defending champion had the upper hand and clinched the next two games to take the set.

With his favoured sliced backhand paying dividends, Hall raced into a 3-0 lead in the second set and although third seed Jeremiasz showed flashes of inspiration, particularly on his forehand, Hall maintained the advantage to secure a 6-3, 6-2 victory on his third match point.

“It was 2-2 for the year in head-to-heads between myself and Michael coming into today, but I won the points that mattered today,” said Hall.

“There is an invisible element called momentum and although to win that seventh game in the first set was just one game, it was a big momentum shift for me. I knew my backhand would need to be working well today and it was okay, but I never felt that comfortable. At no point did I think ‘I’ve got this’, I had to stay focussed all the way. It’s a great feeling to win another Super Series and it’s 10 years to the day that I won my first British Open.”