Thread: losing weight = bonier

Question losing weight = bonier

I have lost some weight mainly due to becoming much more active. but, now my hips and butt seem to be a little more bonier (is that even a word?). this kind of worries me because of obvious pressure-related reasons. I'm at a healthy weight and see no need to pack those lbs back on. I really haven't noticed any redness. but, it still makes me more cautious. I'm wondering if any type of FES would help put a little mass between the bone and skin. I may be wrong in my understanding of FES...but, wouldn't it help build the muscle mass and therefore padding those bony areas?
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

If your paralysis in the area of your buttocks is upper motor neuron, then FES may indeed be helpful in providing some more muscle bulk and padding. FES though is usually not effective or even safe in muscles with lower motor neuron paralysis.

(KLD)

Amanda, you are like a C6, right? Same as me. If you do not have normal or near normal pain sensation..... then FES would probably help you a lot.

My thighs used to be really small from atrophy. Now they are 24 inches around.

My butt took longer. I eventually started ending every FES session by pedaling on the highest setting for a few minutes. I can't sustain it for very long because I can't get enough oxygen. But it really builds muscle bulk. On this high setting I lean forward while pedaling. This causes the gluts to be stretched and therefore able to contract over a much longer distance. This greatly increases the contribution of the gluts to the pedaling activity. Now my butt is big, too. My wife has funny nicknames for me because of it.

With all this bulk in my butt I can sit on hard surfaces. All day long I sit halfway forward on my Jay2 rather than back on the gel part. It never bothers me, anymore.

The other really good thing is that there are ways to get around our lack of proper autonomic function and get really good cardiovascular workouts. I pedal on "4" for an hour now. This seemed impossible to me at one time.

FES makes me feel unbelievaby healthy. The change in stamina is dramatic. I hope FES becomes more available. There's nothing else like it for our health.

When I did the inital FES study years ago my thighs looked normal.

I think you would be a great pt. for FES!

Blog Entries
    Dumb question -> What is FES?

Mind if I jump in here? Where can I go to use a FES machine? I never realized how much my legs have shrunk until I saw the pictures of me skiing. I'd like to get my legs bulked back up, but there's no way I can afford to buy one. None of the local rehab places have one either.

BTW Amanda, I've lost a lot of weight after starting to work out again. I don't have any meat on my ass anymore. I haven't changed chair cushons (J2) and I've been fine.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

FES = Functional Electrical Stimulation. Electrical current is applied to the muscles in a certain pattern, using surface electrodes, which cause the muscle groups to contract and carry out some activity. FES rowing is being done in paraplegia, which combines voluntary arm exercise. FES biking is the most popular and can be done by nearly anyone T12 or above. Chris Reeve managed to do FES biking in spite of being on a ventilator. FES walking devices often use implanted electrodes that are radio controlled. So far they do not simulate real walking but are useful for standing and transferring, I think.

FES bikes are normally stationary exercise bikes. There's an FES clinic in England where paralyzed people use FES to pedal around a track.

Because of the MASSIVE health benefits from preventing pressure sores, cardiovascular disease and other side effects of sedentary living..... not to mention improving immune health, mental health and general health...... insurance companies should be sending each of us one.

Some links:

Cleveland FES Center

National Spinal Cord Injury Association Resource Center

Factsheet #9:Functional Electrical Stimulation, Clinical Applications in Spinal Cord Injury

CRPF discusses FES

UAB FES Page

thanks

thanks for the replies.

yep, I'm about the same level as you Jeff. I'm about c6 on the left and t2ish on the right. strange, I know. but, it's what I got. :P

I have a good cushion. but, I'm still a lil more cautious and aware.

geesh. my whole life I've always wanted to be a little curvier. but, you would never of have guessed I'd want to add the mass for the reasons I do now.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay