Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best wired or wireless headset for Dragon NaturallySpeaking?

Best wired or wireless headset for Dragon NaturallySpeaking?

I'm a recently injured quad who's using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8.0. I'm currently using a "Sennheiser PC150 Noise Cancelling PC Headset". I'd like to know if there's something dramatically better on the market, so I'm curious what other headsets people are using with success. It would be nice to use a wireless headset at home, but I need a wired headset for work so I'm interested in both.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JayColorado
    I'm a recently injured quad who's using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8.0. I'm currently using a "Sennheiser PC150 Noise Cancelling PC Headset".
    The Sennheiser Headset is top of the line in my opinion. I think Liz is using a wireless headset but it is pricey. I'll see if I can get her to comment.
    Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    The Sennheiser Headset is top of the line in my opinion. I think Liz is using a wireless headset but it is pricey. I'll see if I can get her to comment.
    I have this wireless setup at work. http://www.gnnetcom.com/US/EN/MainMe...GN+Ellipse.htm

Also, I have a converter that switches from computer (dragon) to phone when/if I need it. Wireless isnt perfect, but my recognition w v8 is the best its ever been. The upgrade to v8 really benifitted wireless ability w Dragon IMO. I have used this setup on a Gateway and now we just got new Dell's at work. It seems much better with the Dell. Range is up to 300 ft wireless. Its so nice not to be connected to the computer. I'm not up on the latest wireless sorry, just what I have. I wonder often about bluetooth? Anyone know?

My favorite non-wireless headset is the TALKPRO FROM VXI. That headset is awesome with my Sony Viao! Recognition is almost perfect. I reccommend it. I have been blessed with the ability to have a good certified Dragon systems trainer to work with me. It has been a Godsend. Good luck in your descision, let us know if you can what wireless setup you end up with.

P.S. JayColorado why do you say you have to have a wired headset at work?
    Last edited by Lizbv; 07-23-2005 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks for the info Liz! I'll let you know what I end up with...btw, any idea if the set below works w/ dragon8?

http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame...32/prod5300004

Paul and others, you can make it wireless by using an economically priced Nady Encore II. This system will allow you to use almost any microphone. I used to use the ANC 600, but now I have a Sennheiser e835 plugged into it. You could plug the Sennheiser headset into it.

Nady Encore II - $99 (Company Web Site) I have used this system for two years.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Quote Originally Posted by JayColorado
    Thanks for the info Liz! I'll let you know what I end up with...btw, any idea if the set below works w/ dragon8?

http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame...32/prod5300004
    i use this one for transcription.

go usb if you can - all audio cards are not created equal. USB has less errors with voice recog.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis
    i use this one for transcription.

go usb if you can - all audio cards are not created equal. USB has less errors with voice recog.
    What kind of transcription? Could you expand?

JayColorado, It looks sweet but sorry I have no clue.

Lewis, the price has come down on your wireless I see!

Lewis:

I like the price at $99 which makes it affordable to most people in wheel chairs who, probably, don't have a lot of money anyway. How is the accuracy of the wireless headset?
    Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Lewis:

I like the price at $99 which makes it affordable to most people in wheel chairs who, probably, don't have a lot of money anyway. How is the accuracy of the wireless headset?
    I actually have the Sennheiser e835 currently plugged into it. I have never used the Sennheiser headset.

The wireless system I mentioned does not have a proprietary microphone/headset. You can plug any brand name into the body pack.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Update

Okay, I just got a Plantronics CS 50 USB wireless headset. I've been using it for about two days and I definitely like the convenience. It doesn't seem to work quite as well as the Sennheiser, but I think this might be due to the fact that the Dragon software as it configured itself for the USB microphone (I have one profile based on the wired microphone and one based on the wireless USB microphone).

I did start using the Sennheiser PC140 Noise Cancelling Headset/Microphone. It is exactly like the PC150, but the headband goes around the back of your neck to instead of over your head. Also, the Plantronics CS 50 USB only comes with an over one ear or over the head attachments. You can buy the attachment that goes around the back of your neck which I really like.

I have to say that not having wires hanging off me is worth the $180 price tag of the wireless headset. Also, when I tested the signal to noise ratio using the Dragon software, the wireless microphone scored 23 and the wired microphone scored 20. (A higher score is better and Dragon suggests at least a 15.)

Cheers,

Jay
    Last edited by JayColorado; 08-07-2005 at 04:51 PM.