Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Sweets (Candy)?

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe
    Salty liquorice and the one tasting ammonia is two different kind of liquorice. I like both. I did not know before I started to write here that that kind of liquorice is not common all over the world.

Salty candy? Ammonia candy? WHY? That's an oxymoron isn't it?

Tonight I want a funnel cake.

Lol Eileen - no! Your brownies and ice cream do sound delicious, without the peanuts, mind.

Heh Betheny. I didn't find salty liquorice atrocious, just not very nice.
    Ammonia? Wtf?

Go Mem! Go Mem! You've proably surpassed my Pocky intake now - I haven't really had that many. My favourite is the Men's Chocolate one. Blooming delicious dark-chocolate covered sticks.

mike3200 - what is three musketeers?

Princess Leia - I'm a "candy ho" too - and proud!

Right now I'm chewing some Watering Kiss Mint gum, which is a beautiful kiwi fruit flavour. Screw my hideous dental state, I say.

I'm intrigued by this "salty licorice", is it sweet at all? I like some odd-flavored candies [horehound anyone?] so I might have to check this out.

Horehound = 1000 times nicer than the ammonia licorice. It = black licorice coated w/ ammonia salts that look like sugar. I was astounded.

Chocolate dipped pretzels ..... salty and sweet there, and they are good. I don;t care for regular licorice*, so I doubt I would like the salty variety.

* with apologies to my dog, Licorice, I DO care for her. LOL.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    Chick, ooh, I've liked the few Meiji sweets I've had. I've never tried anything like this though. I'm gonna have to see if we have a store in Birmingham that stocks these (I've bought all my Japanese sweets and snacks over the internet so far, lol). Thanks! .
    I discovered it in a Japanese/Korean grocery store out of town. The store owners were so nice and helpful. While shopping, the man (I think part of the family run store), came up to my friend and me, and offered us this thing - I didn't know what it was at first, but didn't want to refuse and not at least taste. It was over 90+ degrees that day, so I thought he was being kind and offering a cool treat. I (tentatively) tasted... and wow, it was delicious. Creamy, yet very very icey, with the green tea iced crystals. We decided to buy a box. Being so hot, he asked if we had a cooler to take it home in, and I think he was even getting ready to offer to deliver for us (either super nice, or we just scraped by a serial killing!)

Anyway, I'll need to look for it in a Japanese store here. Haven't seen it before, so will need to ask around. Good luck in finding it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Horehound = 1000 times nicer than the ammonia licorice. It = black licorice coated w/ ammonia salts that look like sugar. I was astounded.
    You have eaten frogs, witch howls or turkish pepper. LOL, the last one tasts very nice if you let it in vodka for some days untill it has melted and drink it like shots
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe
    You have eaten frogs, witch howls or turkish pepper. LOL, the last one tasts very nice if you let it in vodka for some days untill it has melted and drink it like shots
    You mean like real frogs? I have eaten them. More like chicken than like candy. I see the word for the ammonia flavored stuff on the black licorice is salmiakki. I wonder if I misunderstood when I thought my Swedish ex sis-in-law said salt licorice? We did, at times, have a language barrier. I remember when she requested we pick up a spice, which was a large thing like a big brown peppercorn, that you grate into dishes. Took forever to figure out she meant nutmeg! LOL, I'd only ever used it in ground form, that came in a jar.

What are witch howls?

You mean like real frogs? I have eaten them. More like chicken than like candy. I see the word for the ammonia flavored stuff on the black licorice is salmiakki. I wonder if I misunderstood when I thought my Swedish ex sis-in-law said salt licorice? We did, at times, have a language barrier. I remember when she requested we pick up a spice, which was a large thing like a big brown peppercorn, that you grate into dishes. Took forever to figure out she meant nutmeg! LOL, I'd only ever used it in ground form, that came in a jar.

What are witch howls?
    Language is difficult

Salmiakki is finnish and we can buy it both here and in Sweden.
    Square salty licorice with ammonia flavored

Witch howls is long and narrow bar of licorice with brown ammonia cream inside. It is my favorite.

Frogs looking like frogs with ammoniasalt outside.

Look here so many kind we can buy
    http://www.licorice.org/LicoriceFind...ricefinder.htm
    Most of the time we call it just salty licorice, doesn't matter if it is salty only or tasting ammonia.
    TH 12, 43 years post

What are witch howls?
    LoL I have a good friend in Sweden. She speaks very good English but some of our conversations are hillarious bc of this. I only know about 10 swedish words.
    SO does this stuff taste like real ammonia? Like you clean with?

And why don't they sell Swedish Fish in Sweden?