Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Sweets (Candy)?

Thanks Betheny (and sjean for the intention, lol).
    I have looked at conversions in the past, but I cannot ever remember them.

32 C?! Hotter than I thought. I don't think it ever gets that hot here.

We had one day with 32 C last year, but that was the first day ever.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Oops, I was wrong about the highest temperature here -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Weather_Records

Anyway! My teeth are bad - AGAIN. This morning I was drinking my usual cup of tea, when I became aware of my bad (well, worst) tooth throbbing. And it has really hurt most of the day. *sigh* I just know it's because I've been eating all my Japanese sweets. And that kiwi flavour chewing gum was such a bad idea, even though it was gorgeous.

I want pity from all the sweet-eaters in this thread. Even Licorice the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    Oops, I was wrong about the highest temperature here -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Weather_Records
    UK is relatively temperate then... we break both the upper and lower UK records almost every year here at my house in Michigan!

A couple more candy favorites:

Riesen
    Carmel Apple Suckers
    Plain old jawbreakers

Weather Records
    Highest
    Norway 35.6 °C (96.1 °F) Nesbyen, Buskerud 1970-06-20

Coldest
    Norway −51.4 °C (−60.5 °F) Karasjok, Finnmark 1886-01-01
    TH 12, 43 years post

Hottest Connecticut ever got is supposedly 107F .... 42C. But we get a lot of days in the 90s during the summer (32-37C). And we are a cooler section of the country.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I could live on sour types of candies. sour straws, sour patch kids, shocktarts, sweetarts, can't think of anything else. But all of that sour/tart stuff I can't get enough of.

My wife brought me home a treat today, a selection of Dutch Licorice Candies!

First up, "Rockies". These are shaped like tootsie-rolls. The outside is plain black licorice, the inside is soft chewy fruity stuff. No salt. These tasted just fine, in fact, my kids gobbled up most of them.

Second, "Sweet Heksehyl". These are also shaped like tootsie rolls, with licorice on the outside and chewy molasses filling, covered with granulated sugar. They do include ammonium chloride in the ingredients. Like the name says, these do taste sweet, but with a noticeable hint of... asphalt, maybe? They are still okay, and my kids will eat them (now that the Rockies are gone).

Finally, a candy simply named "Double Salt". These are disc shaped, about 3/4" in diameter, all licorice, and fairly hard. I popped one in my mouth...

YUCK! I spit it right out! What sort of people would call this a candy? I don't know what response would be appropriate to the Dutch exporting this toxic junk, but I do not believe economic sanctions would be sufficient. It's overwhelmingly salty, with various other chemical-like flavors of things that should not be put in the mouth. Oh, and a hint of black licorice. My younger son tried one, ran to the kitchen to spit it out and wash his mouth out. My daughter just sniffed one and ran away. She calls them "Bomit Cookies".

So there. Now I know what the fuss is all about.

Say, keps, tooth [teeth] feeling any better?
    Last edited by Lazlo; 10-09-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    My wife brought me home a treat today, a selection of Dutch Licorice Candies!

First up, "Rockies". These are shaped like tootsie-rolls. The outside is plain black licorice, the inside is soft chewy fruity stuff. No salt. These tasted just fine, in fact, my kids gobbled up most of them.

Second, "Sweet Heksehyl". These are also shaped like tootsie rolls, with licorice on the outside and chewy molasses filling, covered with granulated sugar. They do include ammonium chloride in the ingredients. Like the name says, these do taste sweet, but with a noticeable hint of... asphalt, maybe? They are still okay, and my kids will eat them (now that the Rockies are gone).

Finally, a candy simply named "Double Salt". These are disc shaped, about 3/4" in diameter, all licorice, and fairly hard. I popped one in my mouth...

YUCK! I spit it right out! What sort of people would call this a candy? I don't know what response would be appropriate to the Dutch exporting this toxic junk, but I do not believe economic sanctions would be sufficient. It's overwhelmingly salty, with various other chemical-like flavors of things that should not be put in the mouth. Oh, and a hint of black licorice. My younger son tried one, ran to the kitchen to spit it out and wash his mouth out. My daughter just sniffed one and ran away. She calls them "Bomit Cookies".

So there. Now I know what the fuss is all about.
    Just seen this post.

Ewww, that Dutch candy sounds revolting. Especially the salty stuff. Lol @ "Bomit cookies".
    I have a pal in the Netherlands, and she once sent me a box of candy. They were shaped like cars. They weren't awful, but not very nice.

Say, keps, tooth [teeth] feeling any better?
    Thanks for asking! Yeah, my teeth seem ok...for now. I've tried to be careful, and it seems to have worked. Although, I have been eating a lot of Jelly Babies lately (they are very soft, though).

Ok, Hershey bars. I did a Halloween swap thingy with someone on another board. They sent lots of nice things, and also some American sweets. One was a multipack of little Hershey bars.
    Now forgive my total honesty, but wtf?!
    I opened a bar, and sniffed the alleged chocolate. It smelt faintly of sick, but mainly of cheese .
    I thought, heck, just take a bite of the thing. So I did. And to be fair, it didn't actually taste of sick. No, the overriding taste was of fairly off CHEESE! Omg, I can't believe this calls itself a chocolate bar! It's a bad cheese bar! I felt ill after that one mouthful, and I had to eat Jelly Babies to get rid of the taste.
    I got my boyfriend to sniff the bar, and he wrinkled his nose and agreed - cheese!

hershey bars are good for smores though.