Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think it is possible to be addicted to food?

Question Do you think it is possible to be addicted to food?

I am curious as to what others think. With people being addicted to so many things do you think it is possible to be addicted to food? I seriously think I am. I love everything about it. The smell, the cooking, colors, textures, variety. Always thinking of it, wanting it, wanting to try everything. Even if I am not hungry I still want to eat. After eating a big meal I still want something else. Up until the last month or so I was doing a good job of going to the gym and watching my diet. Now I am in a free fall of laziness and gluteny (sp)

I know I need to get back to the gym, and really adjust my eating habits. How does one deal with an addiction if you have to have that addiction to literaly survive? Its not like drugs or alcohol where u dont have to have it to live.

Definitely YES
    I am addicted to sugar. I am able to give up sugar only during the lent.

I think so and it is comforting to eat. One person who lost alot of weight told that when ever she wanted some food she would ask herself am I just bored or am I really hungry. Most of the time she knew she was bored or needed to compensate for things so she changed her lifestyle and looks great.

Absolutely! Food releases the same "feel good' endorphins in the brain as sex or drugs. Food is one of life's great pleasure's and I, for one, love experiencing as many varieties, textures, ethnicities as I can, which also means I am overweight. If it was tobacco or booze I could just put it aside, but we all need food to exist, so it becomes very complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Absolutely! Food releases the same "feel good' endorphins in the brain as sex or drugs. Food is one of life's great pleasure's and I, for one, love experiencing as many varieties, textures, ethnicities as I can, which also means I am overweight. If it was tobacco or booze I could just put it aside, but we all need food to exist, so it becomes very complicated.
    Thank you! I am so very glad that somone understands what I am going through.

Trust me, you're not alone. I use to be able to keep my weight under control by working long hours and I did all the yard work and tried to work out when I could. Now, sitting all the time, no job, and other than the PT I'm getting now not much chance of getting much exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    Trust me, you're not alone. I use to be able to keep my weight under control by working long hours and I did all the yard work and tried to work out when I could. Now, sitting all the time, no job, and other than the PT I'm getting now not much chance of getting much exercise.
    Thats exactly me. Pre injury I worked 2 full time jobs and was always moving. Never had time to sit and be bored. Not saying I was ever a size 2 but I was healthy and athletic, strong and was at a good weight. Right after my accident about 2 years post I put on 100 lbs. I have lost 30-40lbs of that weight and now I am struggleing to not put it back on. I want to lose the other 60 lbs still. I struggle with exercise as it seems I work twice as hard to lose half as much. Between pain and fatigue it is very difficult to motivate myself to get to the gym. Would really love to be able to watch the diet and make healthier choices, I just dont have the budget it takes to buy the healthy options. I feel horrible because I know that I need to get off my butt and start moving. Not just for weight but because of the family genetics, dad has heart diseas, diabeties, high blood pressure, high cholesterol. I know I am setting myself up with the sediatary lifestyle and the family history.

Yes, I believe so. Food is simply some people's drug of choice so to speak.

This morning on the Today Show, kirstie alley explained that it is compulsive behavior, not an addiction. Eating food is a built in, life-sustaining behavior and therefore, necessary. Whose to argue with Kirstie?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

mmhummmmm,