Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Some reasons why it is difficult to be vegetarian

Some reasons why it is difficult to be vegetarian

The following is from:
    Read more: 40 Hong Kong foods we can't live without | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/hong-kong/none/...#ixzz0gld9kQYb

http://www.cnngo.com/hong-kong/none/...t-820489?pi=pi
    19. Roast pigeon

Pigeons are usually dismissed as rats with wings, but believe us, rats don't taste this good. Cantonese-style pigeon is typically braised in soy sauce, rice wine and star anise before being roasted to crispy perfection. It's an earthy, deeply satisfying dish -- the Hong Kong answer to Peking duck.
    Nostalgic dive Tai Ping Koon, 19 Mau Lam Street, Yau Ma Tei, tel +852 2384 1703, various other locations, is known for its pigeon, and so are the restaurants in Tai Wai, including the reliable Shui Wah, 51 Tsuen Nam Road, Tai Wai, tel +852 2606 7117.

10. Five-layer roast pork

A great piece of 'siu yuk' should have a top layer of crackling skin, then alternating slivers of fat with moist meat, and a final salty-spiced layer at the bottom. Euphemised as 'five-layer meat,' the morsels are served with sharp yellow mustard to cap off an overwhelming experience of textures and flavors all rendered from a humble slice of pork belly.
    Lei Garden's siu yuk hits the spot every time. Multiple location, see website for details www.leigarden.hk.

7. Chicken feet

So it looks awful, but once you get over that, what is there not to love about chicken feet? Just like head cheese or coq au vin, Cantonese-style chicken feet is a perfect marriage of thrift and culinary genius. Euphemized as 'phoenix talons' in Chinese, the chicken feet are typically deep fried then stewed in a blackbean sauce. The cartilage softens to a melt-in-the-mouth consistency and great practice is needed to spit out the little bones in that dainty manner perfected by grandmas in dim sum restaurants across town. Lei Garden skips the deep-frying and stews their chicken feet in abalone sauce, resulting in a wholesome, more texturized treat.
    Multiple locations, see website for details www.leigarden.hk.
    i
    Can you come up with some other reasons?

The chicken feet reminds me of when I was a little girl. Dad always ate weird stuff like this. I'm surprised it didn't mention pigs feet and ears, oh and let's not forget the tripe, stomach of a cow. My family immigrated from Italy and all these "delicacies" were bountiful in our home. How I ate pigs feet way back then, I sure don't know. You sure wouldn't catch me doing that now. lol

I remember one time a cousin was over to the house and saw "chocolate pudding" in the fridge. He helped himself to a bowl of it. Well needless to say how he felt when he found out it actually was pigs blood. I can't even imagine having any of that stuff on the table now. The only pleasure I get from thinking of that now is just that. The nostalgia of a time back when, when family was all around drinking wine and eating and all us kids, cousins 3rd 4th 5th on and on running around playing, while women cooked, clean and men playing cards at the table. That sure wouldn't happen today, thankfully. Sorry Wise. I'm rambling and got a little off topic.

Truthfully, I like the idea of being a vegetarian. I'm not a true one but I have cut back quite a bit on meat.

I grew up eating pig's feet, it was pretty standard fare in our house - boiled, bbq'd or pickled, etc. Menudo is delicious, it's also standard fare in California.

I need fat, so I couldn't be a vegetarian. I eat about 25% of total calories in fat, so I keep it pretty low.
    Quote Originally Posted by cara_m View Post
    The chicken feet reminds me of when I was a little girl. Dad always ate weird stuff like this. I'm surprised it didn't mention pigs feet and ears, oh and let's not forget the tripe, stomach of a cow. My family immigrated from Italy and all these "delicacies" were bountiful in our home. How I ate pigs feet way back then, I sure don't know. You sure wouldn't catch me doing that now. lol

I remember one time a cousin was over to the house and saw "chocolate pudding" in the fridge. He helped himself to a bowl of it. Well needless to say how he felt when he found out it actually was pigs blood. I can't even imagine having any of that stuff on the table now. The only pleasure I get from thinking of that now is just that. The nostalgia of a time back when, when family was all around drinking wine and eating and all us kids, cousins 3rd 4th 5th on and on running around playing, while women cooked, clean and men playing cards at the table. That sure wouldn't happen today, thankfully. Sorry Wise. I'm rambling and got a little off topic.

Truthfully, I like the idea of being a vegetarian. I'm not a true one but I have cut back quite a bit on meat.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

When we stayed at the Daio Yu Tai state guest house in Beijing some 20-odd years ago, the chef did a fantastic vegetarian meal; everything looked just like the equivalent meat dish.
    - Richard

I find it not right that veg food doesnt have fats or calories. we vegetarians are healthy and strong with pure ghee, leafy veg , pulses, fruits...list go on ... ...being paraplegic, i hv surivived 14 years as vegetarian and i wasnt one time low on proteins or cal or fats or vitamins ...its all in mind....In jain religion, we have festival "paryushan" of 7 days days. In this days, we strictly follow pulses or many dishes which do not have leafy vegeatble or onion,garlic,potato. i feel rejuvente totally. many many jain ppl do 7 days fast. just on boil water.. to surprise you, even i have done 8 days constant fast on just boil water isnt unbelievable.. still we are good by health.infact very good..

so it isnt at all difficult on being veg..you cant imagine veg feast so tasty, delicious,spicy..the aroma is so pure.

my heart goes for animals..no words..what if we had been cooked ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shwetarose View Post
    I find it not right that veg food doesnt have fats or calories. we vegetarians are healthy and strong with pure ghee, leafy veg , pulses, fruits...list go on ... ...being paraplegic, i hv surivived 14 years as vegetarian and i wasnt one time low on proteins or cal or fats or vitamins ...its all in mind....In jain religion, we have festival "paryushan" of 7 days days. In this days, we strictly follow pulses or many dishes which do not have leafy vegeatble or onion,garlic,potato. i feel rejuvente totally. many many jain ppl do 7 days fast. just on boil water.. to surprise you, even i have done 8 days constant fast on just boil water isnt unbelievable.. still we are good by health.infact very good..

so it isnt at all difficult on being veg..you cant imagine veg feast so tasty, delicious,spicy..the aroma is so pure.

my heart goes for animals..no words..what if we had been cooked ...
    Cool, I didn't know you were Jain. I always reference the Jain lifestyle as proof that one can be vegetarian and healthy. A number of societies have subsisted on plant based diets for centuries.
    Last edited by antiquity; 02-28-2010 at 07:10 AM.

I have little problem sticking to my vegetarian diet, and to be honest Wise, the pictures you posted strike me as appealing only to those who are use to eating such heart clogging animal derived fare. Maybe because it has been twenty years or so of eating vegetarian, but those pictures had no appeal to me at all. I have been to Buddhist Puja's where the smells from healthy foods with amazing spices is a feast anyone with an open mind would love. Pork belly? Not so much.....

Chicken gizzards!!!
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

i have to agree with eileen--just switched to a vegan diet last summer to address health problems. the first few weeks were tough, but then senses of taste and smell changed, now animal products taste uniformly disgusting. i read 'the china study' and it convinced me to change my formerly carnivorous ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    The following is from:
    Read more: 40 Hong Kong foods we can't live without | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/hong-kong/none/...#ixzz0gld9kQYb

http://www.cnngo.com/hong-kong/none/...t-820489?pi=pi

Can you come up with some other reasons?

my only reason would be red meat taste so damn good
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan