Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: what is the big secret about bowel programs

I would recommend that you get a copy of the booklet "Neurogenic Bowel: What you should know" from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine. It describes the proper way to do dig stim. You can also see it demonstrated (a slightly different technique) in the video "Accidents Stink!"

Using one finger, your husband will not be doing you damage. Pain is common with sensation, and can cause AD if you are at risk. Using 2% lidocaine jelly (prescription) for the lubricant with help with both these problems. The finger should be inserted to just past the second joint. Most of the stretch should be at the anus, without too much pressing inside on the rectum itself. Our male nurses who have big hands also use the 5 minutes on/5 minutes off technique.

(KLD)

where no one has gone before...SW Pennsylvania
    Dear SCI nurse,
    what is AD? I'm sorry . I'm not familiar with that term.
    Thanks again,
    Lori
    Please Visit My Blog at: http://queenquad.blogspot.com

But those who wait on the Lord
    Shall renew their strength;
    They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary,
    They shall walk and not faint
    Isaiah 40:31

We find best results with a daily Enemeez mini-enema, which brings about half the stool accumulation out, followed by digital stim, which brings the rest. When doing the dig stim, I don't feel internal relaxation, but when the stool starts pressing my finger out, I know I've won. On a good day we're finished in 20 minutes.
    Our accident rate is down to maybe once a month; still too chicken to stop using diapers, though.
    We started using Ducolax suppositories (as suggested at the rehab center), but they overstimulated the rectum & we had bowel programs that would go for hours at a time, together with frequent accidents. Discovering Enemeez was a real relief.
    I admit I wonder if this success will continue, or if in time the body will get either used to or intolerant of the mini-enema. I take the point about chemicals & would be happier without the enema, which is docusate sodium & glycerin.
    - Richard

AD = autonomic dysreflexia. I find it a little scary that someone with a C6 complete injury does not know about autonomic dysreflexia!

(KLD)

5 minutes of straight stimming? Wouldn't that be bad for hemmorhoids? I usually stim for about 30 seconds, wait 5 minutes, then stim again. Is that wrong?

Unhappy Bowles... what a nightmare

I think the Ol' Bowels are definitely one of the biggest Pains in the Ass we face. Certainly ranks high anyway! I found Magic Bullits worked best. I also found that I took tons of stool softeners, fiber, all kinds of drugs and still it was a nightmare for me. I ran so slow, I normally got impacted about every 2 weeks at least. I never really figured it out. I eventually got a Colostomy... that was the best thing ever did. Now I dont have to worry about it. I did have to figure out how to keep it soft for the Colostomy to work... but that was easier than sitting on the Commode for 30 Hours a week! Think about that! I was spending a Job (time) on the frigging toilet... No way! I cant see me struggling like that on the toilet for that long. For me , The Colostomy was the answer... never looked back! Thanks, Mike (Fla)
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    My secret is lots of leafy greens,V8 Juice (1ltr daily),bran muffin 2x daily,a good diet of protein,one senakot tablet the night before and a hot coffee while im sittin on the shitter.The end result is a huge formed toilet pluggin turd every second morning in a about 10min...

And exercise,lots of exercise..
    AAAR! I hope you've got a good newspaper in there with yer coffee! Life don't get any better!

In my experience, 30 seconds of dig stim is often insufficient for achieving the anal sphincter muscle fatigue that you need for dig stim to be effective. If it works faster for you, more power to you, but I think you will find that relatively rare.

(KLD)

where no one has gone before...SW Pennsylvania

Autonomic dyreflexia

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    AD = autonomic dysreflexia. I find it a little scary that someone with a C6 complete injury does not know about autonomic dysreflexia!

(KLD)

Dear Nurse,
    I think you misunderstood me. I do know what autonomic dyreflexia is. I was unfamiliar with it being abbreviated as Ad.
    Thank you,
    Lori
    Please Visit My Blog at: http://queenquad.blogspot.com

But those who wait on the Lord
    Shall renew their strength;
    They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary,
    They shall walk and not faint
    Isaiah 40:31

Cool the program

i eat raisin bran cereal in the morning with a banana. drink a ton of water and green tea.I take flaxseed oil in the soft gel form. i take magnesium with my chewable calcium. every third morning I lay on my side and have a magic bullet and stim..15 minutes later regular suppository inserted,,,15 then another magic bullet...15 minutes then the last stim to get any juice out/ then wait 15minutes just in case. i always feel the ol blood pressure go up with all this.
    lucky don't seem to have accidents. been getting by almost 35 years now.
    figure i'm about as happy as i make my mind up to being.
    good luck to you