Thread: Aquila Airpulse PK cushion

Aquila Airpulse PK cushion

After two years of chronic pressure sore problems, I have ordered an Airpulse cushion. The therapists at my rehabilitation center do not know much about the cushion because it is not covered under most insurance plans.
    But the Veterans Administration does provide them to their clients. Apparently, the San Diego Veterans Administration hospital is very familiar with the Airpulse cushion.
    My question is, can someone provide me with a contact at San Diego VA hospital who can advise me on the use of the cushion, especially the initial settings on the pressure level and duration while starting to sit for the first time on healing area on my ischium. Thank you

Hos, if you will enable your private messages on this forum, I can provide you with that information.

(KLD)

Thumbs up Hos

Hello Hos!

I purchased the Airpulse PK about a year ago and the settings that they recommended were based on my weight. I went with the recommendations that the manufacture suggested and had no problems. I had a really bad pressure sore at the time and it was gone in about 2 weeks.

It is too bad that more insurances won’t cover this cushion.
    Never let life discourage you - everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was.

Thumbs down

Thank you for your response, lucky-
    I have started sitting on the airpulse for five hours now and my sore is almost healed. How long do you normally sit in your wheelchair each day to safely? I would like to get up to around 12 hours. I also use the tilt back for pressure relief.

Smile hello

Hos,

I sit in my chair for a minimum of 12 hours each day and sometimes as much as 18 hours a day. I have not had any problems with pressure sores since I purchased my PK.

I am terrible about doing pressure relief, in fact I rarely do pressure relief and I have not had any problems with any sores since I received my cushion.

You should be able to sit as long as you like on this cushion without any problems.
    Never let life discourage you - everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was.

It is the only. This is where the this am and Hi there. I don't normally hijack threads and start talking about myself but it seems that no replies have been put on here for a while so I'm sure nobody will mind since I am talking about the same subject.

I am glad I found this website. For the past 18 months I have been suffering with a pressure sore. To cut a long story short, I have always sat on a roho cushion but this didn't this can stand stars that stop me from developing a sore. I put it down to two reasons why, firstly, the cushion was far too inflated, secondly, I spent many hours a day sitting in front computer leaning to one side. My sore just appeared one morning, I didn't even know anything was going on. It is a long time to heal because I had a long tract coming off the hole. After 8months, I couldn't stand it any longer and I started getting up on a roho even though I still had a small hole there. The nurses were coming in on a regular basis I thought everything was healing slowly even though I was sitting up as normal. Well, I have a huge shock on Wednesday when the nurses noticed a tiny little hole next to the original hole (it is more of a slit, not a hole). They then found to fresh tracts and one half inches long coming off the original hole. So, the roho didn't really help. I think I went the opposite this time, it was too soft, can't win
    Okay, to get to the point, I have been reading up about the Airpulse cushion and it does sound extremely interesting. The testimonials are fantastic but sometimes I am a little dubious. I am quite pleased about what is said on this thread as this is totally independent of the website and the person using it on here has obviously found that the worked extremely well. I am very tempted to buy one as I just can't imagine staying in bed for a few months again and for all the fantastic writeups about roho, I just don't trust them. I would value anyone's opinion, especially people who have got this cushion.
    For crying out loud, we can send spacecraft to Mars, we should be able to heal our pressure sores while sitting up now.
    Last edited by Ironside; 06-17-2006 at 11:27 PM.