Thread: Enlarged Testicle normal?

Enlarged Testicle normal?

If this doesn't top the cake I don't know what does. I was scheduled to have the catheter of my ITB pump replaced on Friday but now my MD says we have to put it off because I have developed an enlarged testicle which, I am told, can be caused by a UTI. I had a UA which came back with untreatable levels of bacteria (under 100K). So what do I do now? To top things off I made an appointment with my PC to look at my egg-sized (that's double A Large) testicle and as I am waiting for my ride I get a call his car has broken down and can't make my appointment. Do I take a trip to urgent care and have them do the tests? I probably should have done that on Monday when I noticed the egg between my legs. This whole situation is so frustrating I could scream but since I am at the mercy of our public transportation system to get to and from the doctor I doubt it would do any good.

I NEED TO RANT!!!!!!

I have been suffering with terrific spasms since last February when my second failed pump was replaced. I've done the dye studies, MRIs, and raised my medication level over 50 percent (1225 ug/day) without relief. The only change in anything is my MD changed the compounding pharmacy it gets my 4000-concentration baclofen from. Well, I am scheduling a pump refill soon and am going to ask they use Lioresal. If my spasms settle down I am going to see an attorney about getting compensation for my suffering. If they do not my only hope is that my catheter is clogged and replacing it will do the trick. If it doesn't then I am stumped. Anyone who does not suffer with severe spasticity cannot relate to what I am going through.

To other pump recipients I offer this warning. If you let any change in in your spasms go by without seeking immediate help you are only asking for trouble. Do not let your doctor get away with using the "let's wait and see" excuse. There is something wrong and you need to find out immediately.

THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME RANT!!
    "And so it begins."

I'm sure you know this already but an enlarged testicle is not normal. There are two common causes for this: one is an infection in the tubules leading from the testes to the urethra (usually called epididymitis), which comes from Greek meaning on top of the twins. This sort of infection can (rarely) happen without the bacteria in the urine being significant.

The other cause is a hydrocele: which is a collection of fluid in the sack containing the testicle-it is not a sign of infection but is usually the result of an infection.

The best way to tell the difference is with an ultrasound exam. But if your doctor can't afford a reliable care, what are you going to do?

I hear your frustration and it's warranted.

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by TD
    If this doesn't top the cake I don't know what does. I was scheduled to have the catheter of my ITB pump replaced on Friday but now my MD says we have to put it off because I have developed an enlarged testicle which, I am told, can be caused by a UTI. I had a UA which came back with untreatable levels of bacteria (under 100K). So what do I do now? To top things off I made an appointment with my PC to look at my egg-sized (that's double A Large) testicle and as I am waiting for my ride I get a call his car has broken down and can't make my appointment. Do I take a trip to urgent care and have them do the tests? I probably should have done that on Monday when I noticed the egg between my legs. This whole situation is so frustrating I could scream but since I am at the mercy of our public transportation system to get to and from the doctor I doubt it would do any good.
    TD...If you nut is really sore along with getting huge, it's probably edipidimytus. I had it a couple years ago and man...what pain!!! They gave me a round of cipro and it knocked it out in about 3 days. What a relief that morning when you wake up and the offending testicle is back to normal size.

Kap
    accept no substitutes

And let your primary care doc know that at times UTIs with counts under 100K should be treated. This would be one of them. And make sure your next exam includes both a PSA and a, well, you know. Sometimes a PSA may not go up and something is there that needs monitoring. Not necessarily cancer. I know way too much about this due to a family member whose exams and numbers didn't match. Just get the one extra test one time and then go back to normal. But treat the sore egg first!

BTW, a UTI under 100K can also cause serious spasms. My left leg can go ballistic below 50K at times. My PC doc has my file flagged to always due a culture if the UA is positive no matter what the numbers and then we discuss the alternatives while I slug back water.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

PSA's always go up with a urinary tract infection in men. It really doesn't tell a person much to check it when things are heated up. After a course of antibiotics would be a better time to check. There's a lot of controversy about whether to screen for prostate cancer or not. I prefer personally to be screened and I screen all of my Caucasian patients over 50 and African American patients over 40.

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    PSA's always go up with a urinary tract infection in men. It really doesn't tell a person much to check it when things are heated up. After a course of antibiotics would be a better time to check. There's a lot of controversy about whether to screen for prostate cancer or not. I prefer personally to be screened and I screen all of my Caucasian patients over 50 and African American patients over 40.

RAB
    I didn't know the number went up with a UTI. I just know that sometimes a swollen egg (cute term TD) can be a sign of many things so treat the UTI and the next time you go for an exam you get both the PSA and, well, you know. I wasn't suggesting he get his poor egg squished in a vise while it was sore RAB. LOL That reminds me of my old GP back home. I had a UTI years before I ever had the spinal stroke. While talking about his "gallon of water" cure while the lab did the tests I asked about cranberry juice. He leaned back, looked me right in the eye and roared with laughter. Said something to the effect of "you think it burns now??????? Drink that stuff and try and pee!" Told me it was more in the preventative not curative aisle so to speak. And his gallon of water did the trick for an uncomplicated case of, hmm, honeymoon cystitis.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.