Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Members Helping Members.

Well I suppose you could say I'm a jack of all trades master of none .... a Mom (catch all term) .... wife to Bill (another catch all term) ... I 've been a customer service rep in a bank for - well lets just say quite a number of years .... I also work in a nursing home as a Health Care aide (guess its just my destiny to be a Caregiver ) .... music is like prayer for me so I kinda know about that .... I haven't forgot how it felt to be a teen so I think it serves me well with my kids ... but most importantly ....
    " I'm 50 .... 50 years old .... " (lunging forward on one foot arms up raised wearing a red polyester jumpsuit) .... kinda gives me an an edge on all fronts ... ask me anything ....

Obieone
    Oh .... one more thing .... I'm kinda getting to be an expert on the ole' pressure sore thing if I do say so myself ....

This is a great thread by the way .....
    Last edited by Obieone; 07-23-2005 at 03:42 PM.

Excellent!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSoul
    I have an advanced degree in religion, so if you need to know which world religion believes what; the names of deities you never heard of; how one obscure sect differs with another, i.e. the Evangelical Free Church vs. the Free Evangelical Church (you know you've always wondered!) ... or the 100+ varieties of Baptists and Full-Gospel-Fire-Baptized-Church of blah blah blah, I am definately the guy you need to talk to.

When pushy missionaries come to your door, I am the guy who knows the REAL STORY. On another board right now, I am very popular on a Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes thread, since I know all about Scientology, Operating Thetans, and Xenu. So, you never know when I may be called upon to explain crackpot celebrities and obnoxious strangers!

In addition, since I spent over 10 years deciding that was what my degree should be in, I spent significant time studying politics (particularly Marxism), literature, philosophy, psychology and critical theory, too.

So if you need me to deconstruct some text for you, I'll be glad to do that!
    MRSOUL!!! (WARNING: this post will bore the wits out of just about everyone)

I have a Master's in Library and Information Sciences...translated, I'm a librarian who tries to hook people up with the information they want/need. I had a kid in yesterday who is very much into a goth persona...black clothes, black hair, black nail polish and eyeliner..you know. I was dying to tell him that Alice Cooper had already pioneered this particular look YEARS ago, but hey...he's expressing himself. Anyway, he wanted information on the Celtic God of Death. He was positive that the holiday Samhain (the origin for Hallowe'en, if anyone cares) was named after, or started in honor of their God of Death. I say nope; I don't think the Celts had a God of Death. Sadly, this rumor was started by World Book Encyclopedia (insert outrage here) but I can find no other reference to such a deity anywhere.

In keeping the thread on track, I have a bachelor of science in physical anthropology: if you find a skeleton in your basement or back yard, I can identify it for you.

Vicky

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
    ~Philo of Alexandria

Obieone, I just turned 49, so I am gaining on you!

Warning, this post will only be interesting to me and the librarian!

HAHAHA--you are pretty smart, Vicky! No, there ain't no such thing! It's popular to hear that though.

Myth of Samhain, Celtic God of the dead:
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/hallo_sa.htm

If you are a librarian, bookmark that website. It's really wonderful!

I'm sure its also about "Day of the Dead"--(All Saints Day and All Souls Day, Nov 1 and 2) getting more popular as more Hispanics move to the US and bring more old-world-style Catholic traditions with them. The British suppressed a lot of those feast days under Oliver Cromwell, so we only got bowdlerized versions (i.e. Halloween) here.

The problem with "God of death" or "God of the dead" is that it takes our western concept of death and overlays it on another culture. The Celts saw death totally differently than some 21st century goth/punk kid!--LOL. So he is assuming they meant the same thing, and they didn't. For example: Shiva is considered "Lord of death" in Hinduism, but in one incarnation (Nataraj) he actually created the universe. (The idea that death leads to life, destruction leads to creation, circle of life, blah blah) So when Westerners reduce him to "God of death"--they are selling him really short, LOL.

Same thing with the blues, the popular story of Robert Johnson "selling his soul to the devil to play the guitar" at the crossroads--in old Hoodoo/African religion, "devil" would be closer to a trickster (as in Native American mythology) or a magic being who teaches you how to do something better than anyone else and then "owns" you. Hearing this, "devil" is the closest people came to describing such a being in dualistic Christianity. (And then of course it became THE devil, vs one of many.) The fact that no one could "imitate" what Johnson had done on the guitar is part of the mythology, and is probably due to the fact that he told people a devil had taught him. So they were too freaked out to imitate it, and it just added to the legend.

The Eric Clapton song "Crossroads" (old traditional song) is from this legend. Interesting that "cross" becomes part of that. In old Egyptian lore, the goddess Hecate was also said to haunt crossroads at night. So it all gets tangled up together!

Nice to hear a librarian is here--yall have helped me SO many times, and in addition, made my life wonderful!!!
    "Who are all these strange ghosts rooted to the silly little adventure of earth with me?"--Jack Kerouac

MrSoul...thank you! Check your email...I figured if we hijacked this thread any further, people will begin yelling, "Get a room!"...

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
    ~Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by Sci Mom
    MrSoul...thank you! Check your email...I figured if we hijacked this thread any further, people will begin yelling, "Get a room!"...
    "Who are all these strange ghosts rooted to the silly little adventure of earth with me?"--Jack Kerouac

I forgot one thing ....

I also have my first degree Reiki and enjoy spreading light and energy when invited ...... sometimes I lay my hands on my computer screen to send you all a little jolt .... if I got that second degree I could do distance healing from the great Canajun' prairies ... look out .....

Obieone

OK, so I've taken waaaayyy too long to reply to this thread...Sooo first thing I'm good at...Procrastinating....I think if there were a degree program in it, I'd have an honorary masters.....lol

Now really, Feisty it's awesome that you were a pyro-tech before. I was a theatre tech & have been involved in pyro since '98. As a matter of fact, this year was the first time since '98 that I wasn't doing pyro for 4th of July...It sucked....I really missed it...I helped as much as I could w/the show last year from my chair & that was very theraputic....Sooo, if any of you need advice on the technical side of theatre, I"m here to help....I was getting into doing quite a bit of design work before my accident & will hopefully be doing more in the very near future...

Also, before theatre, I did a lot of graphic design...Newsletters, bulletins, etc....Sooo I've got some(albeit somewhat out of practice) experience w/that....

Have tidbits of experience & knowledge in a ton of different areas, y'all may be surprised one day when I come up with something out of the blue...just ask me.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Slacking, two-timing, good knowledge of drugs, being opinionated, making fun of the less fortunate, attracting complete idiots, good knowledge of the beaches of Nth NSW and Sth QLD, finding the delicate balance between too little effort and 1 second too much... it goes on and on. I'm so hot.