Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tempur Mattresses good for pressure relief?

Question Tempur Mattresses good for pressure relief?

I've done a search on carecure and come accross quite a few post regarding Tempur mattresses and overlays. From the various posts, it seems to be fairly well regarded but I'd like to ask SCI-Nurse if she/they wouldn't mind commenting directly, please?

Also anyone who owns one, does it do it's job the way you envisaged?

Sorry to post about this same topic again, I just wanted to draw all the opinions about this together in one thread. I've noticed, or rather, assumed that it's called various things; Tempurmedic, tempurpedic etc.
    Do these names refer to this http://www.tempur.com/page143.asp

Thanks a million
    Phil
    ps I'm asking because up til now (8years), I've just used a normal mattress with a foam finger overlay and for the first time have now got a nasty red mark on my hip and I'm not prepared to take any chances.
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

phil...jim and i had heard pros and cons about the tempurpedic products. what feedback we heard most is that u feel like u r being smothered. it's one thing if u can move freely in bed but with jim at c 5/6 we didn't feel it would be a good move. we opted for a latex mattress...not cheap like the tempurpedic but omg phil the best sleep ever. i've had fairly good mattresses over the yrs but this beats them all hands down. they said that there r no pressure points because air flows through the mattress...seems to be working not a single pink/red mark on jim. hope this helps and good luck!

stormie

Stormie

What kind of cost is the bed? Looks like it would be comfortable!
    Doug

I don't know about the mattress, but a tempurmed wheelchair cushion is great. It is all I use - 5 years - and no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by carbar
    I don't know about the mattress, but a tempurmed wheelchair cushion is great. It is all I use - 5 years - and no problems at all.
    Where did you get the cushion?
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

cushion

Lewis - I live in France so I don't know if I can help you source a tempurmed cushion in the States. But I did have one in rehab in Ireland and then when I came here I just went to a bed store that sold the mattresses and asked them to order a cushion (custom-made to my chair dimensions) and cover - and they did. It took a few weeks and was not cheap (!) but it is worth it. I spend about 14 hours in my chair, do some pressure lifts (but often neglect them too) and have never had any skin problems. I think it's a great cushion.

I see. Thanks for the idea.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

I have a TempurPedic bed and love it. I bought the overlay 1st and the pillow then bought the mattress after I decided I liked it. It does get hot, but it's worth it, I think.

Edit - the cost may seem high (~$2,000USD), but it's well worth it. I think you should 1st try the overlay to see if it's right for you.
    Last edited by -Andrea-; 07-15-2005 at 12:33 PM. Reason: remebered cost

The only bad thing I have heard about tempur (technically viscoelastic foam) mattresses is that they can be very hard to move around in and transfer off of independently for higher injuries. Otherwise I think the brand names like Tempurpedic are way overpriced.

RAB

AO,
    I thought I'd just throw in my bed experiences. I've been disabled for 23 years and have used a regular bed for all of those years except the last two. Two years ago onset of a secondary condition has had me bedridden. Immediately it became apparent that I would not be able to be in my regular bed 24/7 without having some pressure issues. So I started shopping for a new bed. I tried out the Tempur mattress first since I had been impressed with the bed through advertisements I'd seen. I could not get comfortable on it. It seemed to irritate my pressure points rather than the no pressure experience they advertise (although it sounds like others who have answered you have had a more comfortable experience on TempurPedic than I did). Some of the research I did on TempurPedic mattresses said there were foam break down issues. The advise I found was that if you are going to invest in TempurPedic stay with the high end and it will last longer than the cheaper brands.

When I started looking for a bed I found a thread (I think here) on the Select Comfort bed. There were quite a few SCI's who had chosen this bed and were happy with it. I've been using it for a year now and I have been very comfortable. It's nice to be able to adjust the (sleep number) firmness higher or lower depending on how my body feels. My only real advise about purchasing this bed...buy one of the two higher end models. They have enough padding over the air bladders so it doesn't feel like you are sleeping on an air mattress at all. Here is their website www.selectcomfort.com

Good luck finding a bed. The good ones do seem to be over priced but if you can find the right one for yourself it is worth it. I have been on this mattress 24/7 for two years and have had no skin breakdown at all. That is pricless.

tocker

T12 incomplete since 1982