Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Pressure Releasing For C5 C6 While In Wheel Chair

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    139

    Pressure Releasing For C5 C6 While In Wheel Chair

    Hi All,


    I Am C5 C6 Complete.with No Triceps And Gripping Power.
    Can Anyone Kindly Tell Me How To Lift Up Bottom While Sitting In Wheel Chair, To Release Pressure And To Avoid Pressure Sore?

    I Usually Remain For 5 Or 6 Hours In Wheel Chair.so I Am Afraid That I May Get Pressure Sore.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member Landon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    303
    With good shoulders you might be able to push up on your wheels with your palms, raising your butt off of the chair. Before I could lift myself up for pressure relief and transfers, I would do some major leaning. You can use wrist extensors to hook onto your seatback and lean to the opposite side of where you're hooking on. Lastly, you can lean forward, making your knees touch your chest. Just make sure youre always moving around, youll find that eventually youll do it subconsciously.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...


  3. #3
    Lock your elbows into back of chair and lean on arm rest. Then "push" down on your elbows. It doesn't lift you off the seat, but takes some pressure off.

    Hook one arm around back of chair and lean to one side then vice versa.

  4. #4
    if hes using a manual chances are he doesnt have armrests or push handles.

    put feet on floor, lean to side and push off the opposite wheel, this will get one whole side, both butt and thigh, off the seat. the repeat on other side. i you dont have good balance, lock brakes and do this near a table.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  5. #5

    not possible

    No offence but this is nigh on impossible for even a strong c5 c6 and could cause more bad than good if attempted.
    i should know

    Asif, with assistance put brakes on and check front wheels are forward. Get help to lean forward and touch feet and get help to get back up after 2 or so minutes. when you realise you wont fall, confidence will grow



    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    if hes using a manual chances are he doesnt have armrests or push handles.

    put feet on floor, lean to side and push off the opposite wheel, this will get one whole side, both butt and thigh, off the seat. the repeat on other side. i you dont have good balance, lock brakes and do this near a table.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by cureby23
    No offence but this is nigh on impossible for even a strong c5 c6 and could cause more bad than good if attempted.
    i should know

    Asif, with assistance put brakes on and check front wheels are forward. Get help to lean forward and touch feet and get help to get back up after 2 or so minutes. when you realise you wont fall, confidence will grow
    im a strong inc c4-5 no triceps and i do it whenever my butt gets tired, its very easy. im not sure where your getting your info on this. but he doesnt need assistance w/ pressure relief
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  7. #7
    good for you but I dont feel this possible for most people - it could alzo mean getting into an uncorrectable position and falling out



    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    im a strong inc c4-5 no triceps and i do it whenever my butt gets tired, its very easy. im not sure where your getting your info on this. but he doesnt need assistance w/ pressure relief

  8. #8
    hmmmmmmm, ok. are you a new sci? most anything is possible, if you want it, except for maybe walking, lol
    Last edited by fuentejps; 07-14-2005 at 11:24 AM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  9. #9
    The two maneuvers I know of are "hook and lean" side to side, using elbows or wrists (whatever works). The other is forward lean, if you can do it independently. Relying on assistance with not allow you to do it as often as you should (like every ten to fifteen minutes).

    RAB

  10. #10
    [QUOTE=SCI-Nurse] as often as you should (like every ten to fifteen minutes).[QUOTE]

    nobody in a wheelchair getting on with everyday life does pressure relief as often as this, i guarantee - it is highly impractical and i dont think clearly new injuries should feel this is the norm and therefore stress about not being able to live up to it

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 03:50 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 06:45 PM
  3. Newbie question about butts.
    By Yaw in forum Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 06:41 PM
  4. The New iGlide Wheelchair
    By wheeliegirl in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 01:04 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2001, 12:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •