Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diet soda

Diet soda

No sugar, no calories, some caffine, nutrasweet, carbonated...can drinking this stuff long term actually cause any problems? I remember that chunk of meat experiment that showed how coke dissolves the meat over time, so I wonder how that works on the stomach. Then again maybe it could have been an urban legend.

LOL, Mike - No, it wasn't an urban legend! Coke also will dissolve the paint on your car! Even tho the diet stuff has no sugar, IMHO is we don't know enough about Nutrasweet or any of the artificial sweeteners yet, to know if they're gonna come up with something down the road. To me, I KNOW where sugar is from! Mother Nature - not in a lab.

Don't mean to sound preachy - but if you're a cola head, (like me - Hi, my name is Jackie and I'm - whoops, wrong forum!) try cutting back. I was a person who couldn't be seen without a soda in my hand for a long, long time; I'm giving it an honest shot to cut back and drink good ole' H20.

Sodas

Carbonated sweet drinks (sodas) that contain caffeine are irritating to the bladder and increase your risks for bladder spasms and leakage, either with an indwelling catheter or doing intermittent cath.

There is also a significant amount of sodium in most sodas, which can long-term increase your risk for heart disease and hypertension.

Sodas (caffeinated or not) are also implicated in increased risk for osteoporosis for post-menopausal women. While we do not have the studies on SCI, I would advise those with SCI who are concerned about osteoporosis to minimize their intake of carbonated beverages.

(KLD)

Urban Legend?

I don't know... but I do know that when my NG tube got clogged they attempted to clear it using Coke!! ( Too bad it didn't work...those things are nasty to get inserted)

You live in the land of the best beer in the world and want to drink Diet Pepsi? You've been out in the sun too long, Mike! I remember being told that beer was good for the kidneys while I was on the Neuro floor. Hi my name is Sue and ........oops wrong forum. But seriously, if you want to switch from radlers or hells or whatever to Spezi Light, just don't substitute it for milk. I read that that is why the change in younger people who develop osteoporosis. They drink everything else in place of milk. I kind of liked bubbly mineral water with a flavored Vitamin C tablet added. I finally found some of the Cs here but they are still kind of expensive to use several times a day. I don't drink anything caffinated which includes Fanta believe it or not.

Lol, sure the beer´s good, problem is it has a strange way of making quad bellys
    expand into horrible looking flesh sacks.

Urban Legend

Now, i'm not saying Coke (or other sodas) are good for you, but according to the urban legend debumking website Snopes.com, the statements below about Coke are FALSE or at least misleading. Go to www.snopes.com and click on 'Cokelore' for more.

1. In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
    2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.
    3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl . . . Let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean.
    4. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.
    5. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
    6. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
    7. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
    8. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan;rap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
    9. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, And run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze fromyour windshield.
    FYI:
    1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. It's pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.
    2. To carry Coca Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly Corrosive materials.
    3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years! Drink up! No joke. Think what coke and other soft drinks do to your teeth on a daily basis. A tooth will dissolve in a cup of coke in 24-48 hours
    ----
    any of the entries above are just simple household tips involving Coca-Cola. That you can cook and clean with Coke is relatively meaningless from a safety standpoint -- you can use a wide array of common household substances (including water) for the same purposes; that doesn't necessarily make them dangerous. The fact is that all carbonated soft drinks contain carbonic acid, which is moderately useful for tasks such as removing stains and dissolving rust deposits (although plain soda water is much better for such purposes than Coca-Cola or other soft drinks, as it doesn't leave a sticky sugar residue behind). Carbonic acid is relatively weak, however, and people have been drinking carbonated water for many years with no detrimental effects.
    The rest of the claims offered here are, in a word, stupid. Coca-Cola does contain small amounts of citric acid (from the orange, lemon, and lime oils in its formula) and phosphoric acid. However, all the insinuations about the dangers these acids might pose to people who drink Coca-Cola ignore a simple concept familiar to any first-year chemistry student: concentration. Coca-Cola contains less citric acid than orange juice does, and the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is far too small (a mere 11 to 13 grams per gallon of syrup, or about 0.20 to 0.30 per cent of the total formula) to cause harm. The only people who proffer the ridiculous statements that Coca-Cola will dissolve a steak, a tooth, or a nail in a matter of days are people who have never actually tried any of these things, because they just don't happen. (Anyone who conducts these experiments will find himself at the end of two days with a whole tooth, a whole nail, and one very soggy t-bone.)
    ~Rus

"...you're not promised tomorrow, so live for today" (Stuck Mojo)

Diet Coke Addiction

Yep- I have that... I admit it...and its not just the sci who have the bladder spasms from it either. And its true about the sodium and hypertension dang good thing I took my pill...lol. Yeah well I am going to quit soon anyway...

Mary

Coke uses

Yes, we used to use flat Coke (or any cola drink) to unplug clogged tube feeding tubes, but now there are commercially available enzyme products that work much better.

(KLD)

Question

I use an indwelling catheter 24/7 and most of the time it will work fine for about 4-5 weeks before needing to be changed.
    Having read this thread, I am wondering if diet coke and pepsi would cause rapid encustration?
    On three occasions I had to change the catheter after only 7 days because of heavy encustration(this am being the third)and when I think about it, maybe the coke and pepsi are causing this problem. Also drink a lot of ice tea with spenda.
    Could the soft drinks be causing a lot of my problems?
    bis