Thread: Back from my doggie's appointment

Unhappy Back from my doggie's appointment

I felt bad for sort of hijacking Shaun's thread Wow was that quick. I think we were at the vet a total of 5 minutes, if that. God even my unemotional husband cried. Oreo was standing when they injected him, and was NOT happy about it. Then he stopped fighting for a minute, and then he started moving, and I thought he was fighting again so I told him to hold still. What he was really doing was falling over. The second he laid down I almost said to the vet "Forget it, I take it back" God I was a mess.

GOD THAT TOTALLY SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bawled the whole way home, bawling now. My 7 year old was at the neighbors, she immediately asked me "did Oreo die?" as soon as she opened the door. She's bawling and she asked me if I would print her some pictures of him. I let the kids have the digital camera today and they took a million pics of him today, I'll see if I can attach one.

I don't know if it's legal to bury an animal in your yard here but when my oldest was crying earlier and asked if we could have a funeral and could we put him in the yard so we could give him flowers, no way was I saying no!!!

Even though it was done out of love and for the best, its HELL.There family and i know how it hurts,sorry for loss

Jodi, so sorry you had to go through this. It is one of the hardest things an animal lover ever has to do. Perhaps this will provide you a little solice:

A Dog’s Message to Its Master
    By Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things that you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to the bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though you had no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshipper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you that I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest--and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 07-14-2005 at 08:03 PM.

RIP Oreo.

Godspeed, thou true and faithful servant.

Hell, I'm bawling too. I'm sorry.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Jodi, so sorry you had to go through this. It is one of the hardest things an animal lover ever has to do. Perhaps this will provide you a little solice:
    You successfully have me crying again Kathy.

Jodi, it was the hardest thing I have ever done telling Jay it was time to call Dr Wendy. Human deaths I have no control over. My bestest friend though, well, she would have done the same for me had she been able. And yes, tears were about to flood our place.

As far as the law goes, hmmm, make a note of placement and should you ever sell the house leave it in a kitchen drawer. Don't want anyone thinking they uncovered an Indian burial site or worse. I think it is wonderful the girls want a place to go to give gifts to Oreo's memory. And while I may not be a believer some churches will add Oreo to their special prayer list on Sunday on the girls' behalf.

My sympathies and hugs for you all.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.