Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quadriplegia and chiropractor?

Thumbs down Quadriplegia and chiropractor?

Does anyone know if there is a risk in having some chiropractic work done on a quadriplegic? A couple of years ago I had my spine adjusted just using the clicker that chiropractors use. I had no manipulation done and no electrical stimulation was used. It really helped line my body up in the wheelchair. I was going to have it done again, but I wanted to check to make sure it couldn't hurt me in any way.

I've done it many times and have never had a problem. Before doing it, I asked my doctor and he said there is no problem.

Thank you!

Thanks very much for your speedy reply!

I see one every week or two. No problems in 2 years, and it helps...

yup, i go weekly too. it helps with my lower back pain.

We medical types have some issues about chiropractics in people with SCI: It's probably not good to have your neck adjusted EVER (in our opinion). It's probably not good to have adjustments to the areas immediately above or below any instrumentation you have in your spine.

It is obviously your choice.

RAB

I'm confused now. I had asked my Dr. about giong to the chiropractor about a year ago and she told me it would be pointless. She said that being a quad I had no muscles. That just by me getting back into my chair could simply make everything they done come undone. Because without the muscles my body wouldn't be able to hold it in place. Is this true at all then?
    Thanks,
    Niese

RAB, the reasons being...?

There are some very good chiros out there, while there are some nutcases too, I'll admit.
    Last edited by -scott-; 07-11-2005 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niese
    I'm confused now. I had asked my Dr. about giong to the chiropractor about a year ago and she told me it would be pointless. She said that being a quad I had no muscles. That just by me getting back into my chair could simply make everything they done come undone. Because without the muscles my body wouldn't be able to hold it in place. Is this true at all then?
    Barely. Chiropractic care, in it's true practice, is more focused on the nervous system than just straightening out ones spine. To put it simply, the goal is to remove interference to the nervous system so it can function optimally. This is often approached through so called "adjustments" to remove subluxations.

My adjustments hold correctly, but your doc does have a point... lack of muscles put a lot of stress on your spine (that would otherwise be better supported), which makes the care more difficult on a long-term basis. Is it pointless though? Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve6167
    ...A couple of years ago I had my spine adjusted just using the clicker that chiropractors use. I had no manipulation done and no electrical stimulation was used. It really helped line my body up in the wheelchair. I was going to have it done again, but I wanted to check to make sure it couldn't hurt me in any way.
    This form of adjustment uses an instrument called the Integrator, but may also be done by hand. It works by applying a gentle tapping to the spine, to encourage the bones to reposition themselves correctly. It can be applied to any part of the spine. The adjustments are very gentle and precise. It won't hurt you at all.