Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Powerchair to buy?

Question What Powerchair to buy?

I'm in an Invacare Arrow Storm. I'm not to happy with it, I'm thinking of getting a Permobile Street. What other power chairs should I look into? Any Thoughts? Thanx.
    Last edited by Norm; 07-10-2005 at 09:33 PM.

Norm, what are your needs? Do you need tilt-in-space, recline, or special controls? Are you interested in FWD, RWD or CWD? The more details the better for others to make a recommendation for you.

(KLD)

I like fast chairs with rear wheel drive. I may get a seat lift.

Definately consider a Quickie P-222SE

Norm,

A very good website to consider is Wheelchair Junkie. Their boards discuss wheelchairs almost exclusively.

I bought a new chair 8 months ago. I had a Quickie P-200, so the P-222SE was the logical successor. Put simply, I LOVE THIS CHAIR. I've included a picture for you to see it.

The chair's performance put even the P-200s to shame - it's the best looking powerchair on the market today. What can I say, I'm vain.

If you need more seating options, the P-646SE is also a nice chair - better suspension, worse looks! If only Sunrise Medical had merged the two designs...

As a caveat, note that Sunrise had a raft of quality issues about three years ago, esp. with the P-6x6 series. These problems seem to be behind them now, and my P-222SE has given me 8 months of flawless use.

If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Just curious why you prefer RWD? I have only had MWD but its been great... looking at a new chair next year though.

I use to have an Invacare Storm Series, I didn't care for it much . I now have a Permobil Chairman 2K with a speed upgrade and seat elevator, I am very happy with it. Mine is FWD but Permobil does make a few RWD models, I personally like the FWD .
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    I'm in an Invacare Arrow Storm. I'm not to happy with it, I'm thinking of getting a Permobile Street. What other power chairs should I look into? Any Thoughts? Thanx.
    Norm, make sure you try out a Permobil. I am biased because that's what I have now but they are great chairs. My first chair was an Invacare storm and I never had any major problems with it but it was just awkward and did not have near the features of the Permobil. Little things like power legrest and the elevation feature make a huge difference. I thought going from rearwheel drive to frontwheel drive would also be tough, but because the footprint of the Permobil is smaller and because it has such a tight turning radius, it was a very easy switch. The only drawback I see for the Permobil is its ridiculous price and getting insurance to pay for it. I actually bought my first one (which I still use daily) secondhand from someone whose relative had just passed away and it was only six months old. I also have the Permobil standing wheelchair and while I like it for what it does, it's not as good as the C2K because of all the extra equipment which allows it to stand. That extra equipment makes it much taller and hard to get under tables and not practical for everyday use.

I have had some minor problems with the C2K, but nothing that couldn't be fixed at the wheelchair shop I use within a couple of hours. The place I use even inventories Permobil parts so that you don't have to wait for things to be ordered. I think Permobil was trying to provide that service and most of their major dealers for better customer service.

Might want to look at these for speed. Ive got the 850 and itll go 8.5 mph.
    They now have a 850 HS that goes 10 mph. Mines just over 3 yrs old and really has been bullet proof. Theres still a few things about it I dont care for but,
    it seems like theres always a trade-off in all the chairs I've looked at.
    Mark even had a hand in the design.
    http://www.pridemobility.com/quantum.../blast850.html
    DIGG.

RWD wheelchairs are faster as far as I was told. I tried a front wheel drive didn't like it. The footplates were a pain in the ass.

As for wheelchair junkie no one answered there.

I'll look into the Pride.

I tried a Permobile stand up chair years ago & hated it.
    Last edited by Norm; 07-10-2005 at 09:49 PM.

Bruno power chairs

Does anyone have any opinions on Bruno power chairs? They haven't been mentioned yet. Reason I ask is that I bought a Bruno 3300 for a friend, and bought 3 at once to get a wholesale price. He seems to like his, but now I'm stuck with two more chairs that haven't even been taken out of the box.