Thread: More chair questions

More chair questions

How often will Medicare pay for a wheelchair?
    If I were to buy my own manual chair out-of-pocket, and a couple years down the road I need a new power chair to tow giant pieces of machinery around my yard (I'm looking at you, capngimp ) will Medicare cover it?
    The dilemma I'm facing now is that both of my chairs from Craig Hospital were donated, and as far as the Medicare/Medicaid are concerned don't have a chair of my own. The Ranger power chair I have doesn't see all that much use and it is a bit too big and bulky, and I eventually want to get something that I can possibly drive from the if need be. I just want to make sure that after spending what I'm abou t on my ZRA, I'm not going to be forced into spending a small fortune on a power chair a couple years down the road if for some reason I can't use my manual chair for daily living.
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Quote Originally Posted by jbinny
    How often will Medicare pay for a wheelchair?
    If I were to buy my own manual chair out-of-pocket, and a couple years down the road I need a new power chair to tow giant pieces of machinery around my yard (I'm looking at you, capngimp ) will Medicare cover it?
    The dilemma I'm facing now is that both of my chairs from Craig Hospital were donated, and as far as the Medicare/Medicaid are concerned don't have a chair of my own. The Ranger power chair I have doesn't see all that much use and it is a bit too big and bulky, and I eventually want to get something that I can possibly drive from the if need be. I just want to make sure that after spending what I'm abou t on my ZRA, I'm not going to be forced into spending a small fortune on a power chair a couple years down the road if for some reason I can't use my manual chair for daily living.
    1. Medicare will buy you a chair every 5 years...I'm 90% pos.
    2. Yes

I bought a ZRA out of pocket then submitted the Certificate for Medical Necessity to PacificCare(primary insurance)...they cover up to $2000/yr.
    ZRA cost me $3500 w/ spinergy wheels arm rests, rubber coated push rims, Star cushion, basic backrest and basic 4" castors.

Jake, Buy my Element
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

i saw your post about selling it... pics, price, driver's or passenger's side ramp?
    pm me w/ details, if you could.

DAMN... i know medicaid probably, 99.9 percent sure they won't cover my zra, especially w/ the ti parts and seating i want/need, but i can't get myself to submit the order... wtf? that's alotta money

if you can get a good dme, dr. to write script plus you'll probly have to have a dme/PT come out an consult.......

i bought my manual out-a-pocket, dme got my power. told me they will get one after 3 yrs if'n ya really need it, which bein quad i qualified.

key is...get a dme that wants to help ya, an a doc that knows how to write a good recommendation.

i push manual 90% of the time but bein quad, i need a power to go down the road, round the block or thru grass. i like to get out but with my manual i can only go to the end of the block before my backs hurtin from tryin to push one-sided to keep straight plus i'm slap wore out.

oh yea.....medicaid bought my first chair...manual. called dme myself, 3 yrs post an they approved my power. bought my second manual O-O-P, 5 yrs post.

if you've never ordered a chair thru em, you should be a GO.

they won't approve titanium.
    Last edited by rollin64; 06-10-2007 at 08:33 PM.