Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Powerchair to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    Yes, I waited a whole year on the advice of my wheelchair repair guy & it ended up being almost two. He had me waiting on the new electronics for the Storm. I'm Finally getting a new Invacare Storm or TDX.
    In your case, the DME wasn't jerking you around. The new electronics (MK6) were not released for Invacare powerchairs with gearless brushless (GB) motors until mid-May.

The TDX SP has a better suspension than the TDX5, but will not have a GB option until this fall. Beware of the Motion Concepts power center mounts on the TDX SP because Invacare installs the bracket in front of the seat pan instead of under it--making the powerchair way too long.

I'm thinking for street riding. The curb cuts suck in my town & the uneven pavement sucks as well. I'm getting bounced around like crazy in my RWD Storm.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

I just tried a Permobil Street which is a rear wheel drive and was very impressed. I have a small fruit and vegetable farm with a lot of uneven terrain and the four-wheel independent suspension really smoothed things out compared to the Quickie 626 I have now. It also negotiated loose, sandy areas much better. I speced one out with my DME supplier and it should be submitted to my insurance company next week.

I would strongly recommend you demo these chairs and then make your selection. I almost signed off on a Invacare until I took a Quickie for a test drive.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I just demo'd a TDX, & I thought it handled the street well, but not that much better that I'm willing to change from my Storm Arrow. I think I will stick to the RWD. I have height problems because of driving. So I was told a RWD Permo seat to floor is to high. I was thinking of trying a Pride MWD but I think I'll pass. I like RWD too much.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

Have you checked out Motion Concepts power seating systems on the Invacare Storm base? Here is an UltraLow system with a 17.75" STF height, TRx heay duty front riggings, and a PB Elite Back on an Arrow. This Arrow was spec''d out for a long-time E&J MX powerchair user who was used to hooking for stability when reaching to pick things up--something difficult to do on many of today's chairs with power seating.

I'm not sure but during the eval at Magee Rehab they wrote for a back that would allow me to still hook. Plus they said they could lower the seat at around 17".

I wish I could add an Elevating Seat. But I was told I couldn't get as low as I need.

I just got Quickie Groove seen here and the dealer got the "Perfect Fit" seating system w/ tilt & leg elevation. Nothing Perfect about that seating system, he's going to do a swapout and go back to a traditional seating. The base is very sturdy, compared to my Quickie P200 which has been an awsome chair for street use, doesnt go offroad well. that's my backup now. the Groove is 1 1/2in wider and 1 1/2in longer so getting used to that sucks, I keep nailing door jams, but I have to break'r in.

RWD is better outdoors from my exp. hadda MWD.....got stuck in grass plus wouldn't go up a steeper type ramp.

gotta RWD.....invacare torque sp, goes like hell thru grass an zips right up that same ramp.