View Poll Results: Are the font sizes on the forum (in general)

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • too big

7 8.97%
  • just right

56 71.79%
  • too small

15 19.23%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the font size too big, just right, or too small

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    I vote to just keep it. I like this size much better, as do most folks who voted so far. If users are *that* concerned, they should change their browser settings to accomodate other sites they view as well.

Wise, another thing to consider: changing all the font values from points (pt) to pixels (px) will create uniform sizes regardless of the browser used.
    Scott,

There are cascading style sheets, as well as font tags associated with each module (there are dozens). I wanted to change one variable at a time and see what people think. For example, I made one change, i.e. the body text from 10pt to 12pt. It did not seem to change anything on the display of the site on four different browser (safari, firefox, mozilla, internet explorer) but I don't know if this is the case for others.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Davey, can you tell me what change you see? Wise.
    The font seems to be bigger in some areas. The most telling is in the table that holds all the topics. There seems to be extra white space than I noticed before because the moderator names, last post, etc. don't really fit nicely in the column anymore so it makes the row a higher than it needs to be.

After looking at the HTML source though, I may just be seeing things that I didn't notice before . Since you only changed the main <body> font and the fonts in <td>'s are still 10pt I shouldn't have seen any difference. I may just be looking more closely since all of this discussion of fonts has started. I really like the new look and how everything works now -- a lot more than the old site. I'm just hoping it stays looking as good as it does, but still being able to change based upon a user's needs. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused ...

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    The font seems to be bigger in some areas. The most telling is in the table that holds all the topics. There seems to be extra white space than I noticed before because the moderator names, last post, etc. don't really fit nicely in the column anymore so it makes the row a higher than it needs to be.

After looking at the HTML source though, I may just be seeing things that I didn't notice before . Since you only changed the main <body> font and the fonts in <td>'s are still 10pt I shouldn't have seen any difference. I may just be looking more closely since all of this discussion of fonts has started. I really like the new look and how everything works now -- a lot more than the old site. I'm just hoping it stays looking as good as it does, but still being able to change based upon a user's needs. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused ...
    Thanks. I can always change it back. It seems to be okay for me, however. Next time, I shall make a snapshot of the different pages so that I can really compare the before and after. Let me wait just a while so that the people who thought the font was too small have a chance to weigh in. If that doesn't do the trick, I can switch it back.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    There are cascading style sheets, as well as font tags associated with each module (there are dozens). I wanted to change one variable at a time and see what people think. For example, I made one change, i.e. the body text from 10pt to 12pt. It did not seem to change anything on the display of the site on four different browser (safari, firefox, mozilla, internet explorer) but I don't know if this is the case for others.
    Wise, IMO you're changing the wrong variable. 10pt is different than 10px.

Points (pt) are not a size unit for on-screen use. They are used for print stylesheets, and often cause problems w/ web publishing. Pixels (px) are the only reliable absolute unit on-screen.

Mac's default ppi (points per inch) is 72, wheras PC's is 96. This is why some fonts look smaller on PCs. PCs cram more "points" in per inch.

Make sense?

Wise, I do not see any difference in the font after your change.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Wise, IMO you're changing the wrong variable. 10pt is different than 10px.

Points (pt) are not a size unit for on-screen use. They are used for print stylesheets, and often cause problems w/ web publishing. Pixels (px) are the only reliable absolute unit on-screen.

Mac's default ppi (points per inch) is 72, wheras PC's is 96. This is why some fonts look smaller on PCs. PCs cram more "points" in per inch.

Make sense?
    Hi Scott,

Just wanted to clear a few things up. You're absolutely correct that Wise is changing the wrong variable to obtain the functionality he's looking for -- the ability for a user to change the font to whatever he/she needs. Neither points or pixels will accomplish this. As I've said before, he will need to use a different type of font size specification in his stylesheet -- one using percentages or x-small, small, etc specifications. Only then will someone be able to use the Text Size setting in IE to set the font to what is needed. I'm sure he's just trying to keep from changing the many font settings thoughout the many stylesheets that are being used by vBulletin .

As far as the points vs. pixels issue ... the ppi that is used on the Mac and PC is "pixels per (logical) inch" -- defaults to 72 for the Mac and 96 for the PC. A point is always 1/72 of an inch so a font that's 72 points will equal an inch. That would translate to 72 pixels on a Mac and 96 pixels on a PC. The fonts would be 33% larger on a PC because they are made up of more pixels for each inch on the PC. You're also absolutely correct that if this web site didn't need the ability to support the Text Size feature the style sheets should always be using pixels instead of points for consistency between Macs and PCs.

I vote to just keep it. I like this size much better, as do most folks who voted so far. If users are *that* concerned, they should change their browser settings to accomodate other sites they view as well.

Wise, another thing to consider: changing all the font values from points (pt) to pixels (px) will create uniform sizes regardless of the browser used.
    Scott...I realize that you "like" the size of the font but the tinyness of it actually impedes others ability to read the forums or at least read them for long without getting a headache. Granted "most people" (68%) like it (is it really the size of the font or just the new layout and "style" they are replying about?) but do we just disregard the 25% of members who think it is too small?

It would be nice if we could all have our own personal size but I guess that ain't possible.

Kap
    accept no substitutes

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff
    Wise,

I did not mean IE has no preferences, just that it is now broken up.
    -Under the View menu there are 5 text size options. Mine is currently set to "Larger". These currently have no impact on CC.

-Under Tools->Internet Options->General Tab
    >There is a Font selection for sites that Do Not specify font style, mine is set to Times New Roman and Courier
    >The Accessibility button allows me to Ignore site specific items, one being font size.

If I click Ignore Font Size, then the CC font size immediately gets bigger, which makes sense as my settings are for Larger fonts. Then if I go to the View menu and change the Text Size options, I can change the font size of posts on CC to my hearts content.

McDuff...YOU ARE THE MAN!!! I followed your directions and I can now see it in my personal default font (arial 12pt). Plus...(I don't know why) but when I click the larger button under view>font size>larger...it makes it bold.....BIG, BLACK and BOLD...gotta love it. Thanks, bud, now I can read cc even with tired eyes.

Kap
    accept no substitutes

Glad it works out for ya Kap.

Just so everyone knows, this is still a "workaround", not the real solution. But I guess it will have to do.

Since my setting of text to "Larger" changes the font size for all other websites WITHOUT clicking "ignore font sizes on website", I still think there is a better solution that is CC based rather than each person having to apply the workaround. I will have to click this on and off when visiting CC as I do not like what it does to other websites. Since there are usually different font sizes in differing portions of a website, setting a "Larger" view size does a "relative" growth of each. When you set "ignore" it changes all fonts to one size. Alters the look of websites.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Davey, thanks for adding those points. Using relative values such as x-small, small, large, x-large, etc etc is desireable, yes, but requires more planning than just adjusting a given size by pixel height. Wise/Jeff, just understand that if this route is considered, a base size needs to be defined prior to use..

Kap, chill. I expect that CareCure users *do* visit other websites. If font size is an issue, the end user needs to adjust his or her browser settings to accomodate web use "everywhere." Wouldn't you agree?

Most browsers allow you to increase your font size easily from the view menu, the keyboard or even the mouse simply by selecting the command to increase or decrease font size.
    • In Windows Internet Explorer, use the View - Text Size menu.
    • In Macintosh Internet Explorer and Netscape 6 and 7, use the View - Text Zoom menu.
    • In Firefox and other Mozilla browsers, use the View - Increase Text Size option.
    • In Safari, use the View - Make Text Bigger option.
    • In Opera, use the Zoom selector.

Opera actually scales the entire web page - fonts, images and all. It's a pretty good browser for accessibility.
    Last edited by -scott-; 07-10-2005 at 12:14 PM.