View Poll Results: Are the font sizes on the forum (in general)

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • too big

7 8.97%
  • just right

56 71.79%
  • too small

15 19.23%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the font size too big, just right, or too small

I vote to just keep it. I like this size much better, as do most folks who voted so far. If users are *that* concerned, they should change their browser settings to accomodate other sites they view as well.

Wise, another thing to consider: changing all the font values from points (pt) to pixels (px) will create uniform sizes regardless of the browser used.

Scott, the point is, my current settings *do* affect other websites. As long as the website is setup correctly, my setting of "Larger" fonts in my browser *will* increase the font size, and it will *not* affect the way you see it.

I'm not asking that *your* preferred size be taken away, just allow me the same privilege.
    Last edited by McDuff; 07-08-2005 at 08:25 PM.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

McDuff, I wasn't pointing fingers, and I absolutely wasn't discounting your feedback. I apologize if it came across that way.

10 to 1 says that changing the sizes that are set by points to pixels would fix your problem. Check out the source or styles used on your other frequently visited sites & see what they use. I do have experience w/ this.

Jeff, does VB have a master stylesheet that you could test this idea on?

Sorry Scott, yeah I took it the wrong way. Sounded like, f'em it's their problem. Thanks, and I apologize for coming across too hard.

I am in the h/w end of computers, so am a s/w novice when it comes to debugging code. But do know when a problem is global vs. personal.

I went to NM and WCJ websites, both of which respond to my changing font sizes. Did a View Source on a thread in each. NM has a reference to "pt's" in their code and WCJ does not. It is way beyond me to try and uderstand the code, just an observation. But neither appear to be using vBulletin either.

Oh well, no real reason for this post except to say sorry. But would still like to see this fixed. Can someone point me to another vBulletin powered website to see if it responds differently for me?
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    10 to 1 says that changing the sizes that are set by points to pixels would fix your problem. Check out the source or styles used on your other frequently visited sites & see what they use. I do have experience w/ this.
    They won't be able to use pixels. It will have the same issues -- no ability to resize based upon the user's "Text Size" setting. If they want to allow dynamic resize then they'll need to use a font size specification in their style sheet which is a percentage or something like x-small, small, medium, large, etc. As an alternative, they could let a user choose a preset list of style sheets that could be applied to the site based upon a choice in the User's Control Panel. Not sure if vBulletin allows this, but that would probably be the best solution, IMHO.

Okay, based on the comments so far, I am changing the font sizes from 10 to 12 for the main body text. This may result in an increase in font size for everybody. It does not change the text size for me on my browser. Can people who find that the size is too small tell me whether it changes the text size? I can go to 11 points.

Note, there is another font size control that affects text size within tags. I don't want to change that until it is clear that the first change does not make any difference.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-09-2005 at 01:39 PM.

7. 07-09-2005, 01:34 PM

12 was kinda big

Jim, let's see if if helps the people who find that it is too small. I can go to 11, if necessary.

I just realized that you might have responded to an inadvertent change of the font size within tags change that I had made which did increase the font size for me on all the posts and it was very large. I returned that back to default values.

I hope that this change solves the problem for people who think that the font size is too small.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-09-2005 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Okay, based on the comments so far, I am changing the font sizes from 10 to 12 for the main body text.
    Wow! That's an interesting read of a poll when 75% said the font was just right. As far as 12pt -- -- CareCure had finally started to look nice .
    Last edited by Davey; 07-09-2005 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Wow! That's an interesting read of a poll when 75% said the font was just right. As far as 12pt -- -- CareCure had finally started to look nice .
    Davey, can you tell me what change you see?

I also just reduced the size of the Username from 14 to 12 because it looked very big on my browser. Does it look too small now?

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-09-2005 at 03:12 PM.