View Poll Results: Are the font sizes on the forum (in general)

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • too big

7 8.97%
  • just right

56 71.79%
  • too small

15 19.23%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the font size too big, just right, or too small

Is the font size too big, just right, or too small

While many people seem to like the font on the site, it was not clear whether people like the sizes of the fonts. It seems that some people find that the font size is too small.

You can increase the font size of your individual posts and responses, but this takes extra steps, so I am assuming that most will not do so. I strongly urge bigger font. We have a number of older folks who use these forums. It is a way of making these forums more accessible to all to increase the size.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    You can increase the font size of your individual posts and responses, but this takes extra steps, so I am assuming that most will not do so. I strongly urge bigger font. We have a number of older folks who use these forums. It is a way of making these forums more accessible to all to increase the size.
    (KLD)
    KLD, I am assuming that you are using internet explorer on windows for browsing from work. I just saw that your post has a size indicator on it and it reduces the size of your font. I just increased it and wonder if you can see the size difference of your post. I am surprised that your post imposes a size of 2 (I set it as a size of 4). By the way, a number of other people show a size of 2 on their postings (and I can see that their post fonts are much smaller than the rest). It suggests to me that your browser is imposing the size change and not the site.

What determines the font size is the html template instructions that goes to your browser and how your browser interprets those instructions. I am rather surprised by Kap's earlier comment that Internet Explorer on Windows does not have preference settings. I suspect that your browser is imposing a certain default size change onto the font size that is being shown on the site rather than the font size of the site being too small. Have you considered downloading firefox and seeing if that would shows the fonts differently?

I do understand and strongly support making the site more visible for the visually impaired (like me). What I want to find out with this poll is how many people have the problem of the small font. Mac browsers represent less than 5% of the viewers here on the site so far and it would be good to know how many people find the font to be too small. On my Mac, the font is as bigger than it was on Infopop. If we increase the size, it may make the font too big for most people. This site already is very wasteful of space, even though we have now switched to the older template where there is not as much empty space between posts.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-08-2005 at 09:49 AM.

Wise,

Definitely somethig weird going on here. The text in your posts(as well as mine will be since I am using default) are tiny. KLD's post shows up bigger than yours for me. Your quoted portion is very big(as well as bold), which makes sense if default size =1, KLD used 2 and you used 4. This seems like a correct progression to me, with the default being too small. Since you and others see bigger text without a specific "size" override, it almost sounds like browers other than IE are not paying attention to the "default" size. You might try setting a size override to 1 and see what you see then.

The following sentence is using a size override of 1.
    Here is a trial sentence with a size override of 1.
    Do you see a different size font? There is no difference for me.

Kap explained pretty well the options available for us on IE, that Preference panel does not seem to exist in IE any more.
    Last edited by McDuff; 07-08-2005 at 10:28 AM.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

mcduff,

You are correct. Internet Explorer on Windows appears be overriding the site-specified font size. I suspect that the reason why Internet Explorer has no preferences is because it is using the system default for Windows. So, one has to change it on the system preferences rather than the browser preference. Can I suggest that you look in your system preferences to change the way Internet Explorer handles fonts. An alternative is to use Firefox which allows you to specify fonts in its preferences.

Yes, I see the text that you assigned a size value of 1 to as being very small. I am currently using Safari with default font of Lucida Grande 12 and Courier 12 for standard and fixed-width font. Neither of these default fonts are showing up on the CareCure pages because it is using the site-specified fonts. Safari does not provide the option of over-riding the site-specific fonts. However, Internet Explorer on the Mac does allow you to over-ride site-specific fonts and substitute browser-preference-specified fonts and, when I do so, I see the fonts that I specify.

However, Internet Explorer on Mac shows the site fonts as being very readable and large. I am sure that we can solve this problem but I would just like to see what other people are seeing on their browsers before we make any changes.

Wise.

Wise,

I did not mean IE has no preferences, just that it is now broken up.
    -Under the View menu there are 5 text size options. Mine is currently set to "Larger". These currently have no impact on CC.

-Under Tools->Internet Options->General Tab
    >There is a Font selection for sites that Do Not specify font style, mine is set to Times New Roman and Courier
    >The Accessibility button allows me to Ignore site specific items, one being font size.

If I click Ignore Font Size, then the CC font size immediately gets bigger, which makes sense as my settings are for Larger fonts. Then if I go to the View menu and change the Text Size options, I can change the font size of posts on CC to my hearts content.

So, since I have to click an option that says "Ignore font sizes specified on Web pages", I submit that there is actually a default size being given to IE by the new CC site, not the other way around.

It would be a great coincidence that the "size override of 1" would be an exact match for my system default anyway.

I agree and understand, trying to make things work for all browser/OS combos is tough, been in the computer industry for decades. But having a bunch of Mac/Non IE users setting defaults is killing us IE users. just kidding, thanks for all the hard work.

Wise,

The problem seems to be in the style that is being used for the <body> tag. It's set to use a 10pt font. When a style specifies a specific font size it will always be that size no matter what the "Text Size" setting (defaults to Medium) is set to. The style sheet should be changed to use a relative or percentage font size. Then people could set a larger or smaller font size if they want. For me the font size is just right.

Notice that you can adjust the font size and KLD's post changes size. That's because it use a <font size=2> setting for her post which overrides the <body> tag's font: 10pt style setting.

I'm also hoping that you will update the font to a relative font that in the default case comes out to be 10pt. So in the case of the default text size of Medium everything will be as it is for us that like the current font. For those people that need a larger font they probably have their text size set to Larger or Largest anyway so they will see the new size without screwing up everyone else.

David
    Last edited by Davey; 07-08-2005 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Wise,

The problem seems to be in the style that is being used for the <body> tag. It's set to use a 10pt font. When a style specifies a specific font size it will always be that size no matter what the "Text Size" setting (defaults to Medium) is set to. The style sheet should be changed to use a relative or percentage font size. Then people could set a larger or smaller font size if they want. For me the font size is just right.

David
    Thanks, we will look at the template modules that are being used for the site.

Wise.

Good catch Davey. Curious as to why Win IE is the only browser/OS that seems to pay attention to this. You would think hardcoded 10pt would apply to all.

Wise:
    Are there any forum settings that will allow users to change the type and size of the font? That way everyone could go into the "User CP" and change the font to whatever they want.