Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Login Timeout

Unhappy Login Timeout

Is it necessary to have a timeout feature? Gets old re-logging in. I don't like having pswds saved to my computer so I uncheck the "Remember Me" option. Is this what is causing me to timeout? Am I stuck with this?
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Bumping this one up, as I'm seeing the same thing happening. What is the timeout on this forum, five minutes or so of inactivity? If this could be bumped up to 20 minutes or so I'd be fine, and I wouldn't have to store my passwords in my browser (something the security-conscious like to avoid).

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff
    Is it necessary to have a timeout feature? Gets old re-logging in. I don't like having pswds saved to my computer so I uncheck the "Remember Me" option. Is this what is causing me to timeout? Am I stuck with this?
    Yes, a log-off period is essential. Very few people log off this site. They just stop using the site or close the browser. Unless the site forces a log-off within a period of time, that means everybody stayed logged on.

1. A 10-minute time-out is very reasonable period. If you are not clicking on something on the site within 10 minutes, that is a pretty good indication that you are inactive.

2. Having a long time-out period presents a security problem for everybody. The vast majority of people who come to this site never log off. That means that anybody using your computer within 10 minutes will get on as you without having to log in. If the automatic logoff time-out period is increased to 20 minutes, people will be able to log in 20 minutes after you close your browser.

3. The log-off time helps us estimate the time that registered people stay on site.

If you want to secure your computer against unauthorized use, I would recommend
    • password protect your computer, internet access, or your browser. There are many programs that do so.
    • clear cookies after each browsing period. I do realize that there are some people who use public computers at internet cafe's etc. to get to CareCure. Of course, in such cases, what you should clear cookies when you are finished, whether or not you checke the option to remember the password. On some browsers, such as Safari, you can choose the option of private browser which does not store anything that you do. On Firefox, go to the Preferences>Privacy>Private Data>Always clear my private data when I close Firefox. I don't know about Internet Explorer.

Wise.

Wow, an "exactly" 2 yr old resurrection.

Thanks Doc for the explanation, makes good sense. I gave up loooonnng ago and clicked on "remember me". <I have been assimilated>

I sit behind 2 routers, all kinds of "anti" s/w, figure wth, should be safe enough.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff
    Wow, an "exactly" 2 yr old resurrection.

Thanks Doc for the explanation, makes good sense. I gave up loooonnng ago and clicked on "remember me". <I have been assimilated>

I sit behind 2 routers, all kinds of "anti" s/w, figure wth, should be safe enough.
    Whoops, sorry. I was answering to Zero, as well. Wise.

The only issue I really have is when I'm composing a longer post. If it takes more than 10 minutes, I hit the post button, I'm prompted to log back in, and my post is lost. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong here. No worries, I'll probably just break down and do the "remember me" option.

Thanks all,
    Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    The only issue I really have is when I'm composing a longer post. If it takes more than 10 minutes, I hit the post button, I'm prompted to log back in, and my post is lost. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong here. No worries, I'll probably just break down and do the "remember me" option.

Thanks all,
    Zero
    This is my problem as well.
    I write long posts and they take time to compose.
    Often I've written an absolutely great reply and if I don't select and paste it into WORD (to do spell check) and rely only on the spell check here - when I go to submit it I've timed-out and the post is LOST.

NOT FUN

Is it just a matter of selecting the "remember me" at sign-on?

I use my own PC so I have no fear of someone logging onto my machine after I've signed off - it's encrypted up the wazhooo.

Let me know, please.

Muchas gracias and Thanks a Bunch!

Beth29,

I am sorry to hear that you have lost writing. It is very frustrating when that happens. Yes, click the checkbox for [remember me] and the browser will not take you to the login page if you have been inactive on the web site for longer than 10 minutes.

You can do two other things to prevent such losses in the future:

1. Switch to the Firefox browser, if you have not already. It is free and much faster than internet explorer. Firefox remembers what you have typed and you can go backward till you find the page again... at least it does this on the Mac.

2. Write your replies in a text processor, a blogger program, or some other program. Then copy and paste what you write to CareCure. For most of my longer replies, I use a program called Journier which is for a Mac. There are many such programs. The advantage of writing in such a program is that it keeps track of all the longer posts that I make.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth29
    This is my problem as well.
    I write long posts and they take time to compose.
    Often I've written an absolutely great reply and if I don't select and paste it into WORD (to do spell check) and rely only on the spell check here - when I go to submit it I've timed-out and the post is LOST.

NOT FUN

Is it just a matter of selecting the "remember me" at sign-on?

I use my own PC so I have no fear of someone logging onto my machine after I've signed off - it's encrypted up the wazhooo.

Let me know, please.

Muchas gracias and Thanks a Bunch!

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Is it doing the HTTP

The 10 min timeout expires even if you do something.
    The login also fails the first time.

Both these could be an HTTP issue.

The browser or the proxy cache will be doing HTTP queries and the site may not be processing these properly. A longer timeout would only be a 1/2 fix.

Do I need to tell browser to compare every time or does URL contain state info?

I also type very slowly, and constantly get bitten by this when I try to type long posts.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.