Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy surgery complete

Talking Colostomy surgery complete

I just had my colostomy and am home recovering. Wow, its painful. To cough is to die. To sneeze is worse. But the positive side is I have not thought about the stupid and dredded bowel program in 5 days. What a relief. I have not been sick or felt like Ad'ing or anything related to the symptoms I had with the bowel complications. Although it's way to early to tell, but am not regretting having it done. I had way to hard of a time with the BP and was to often impacted and constipated and feeling awful. It is a very tough surgery, because you cannot move to adjust yourself.. at the same time you must be careful of pressure sores. It was impossible to get cooperation in the Hostpital to have the techs or nurses move me... they simply were not intersted in the Docs direct orders. But I am all to well used to our lovely medical system these days.. so I was not at all surprised. My wife and kids looked after me well. I guess the part that I hate is: I have to actully pay for the lack of care I recieved while there. Anyway, Im glad its over, I will keep you posted on the outcome. Any questions about the surgery, let me know. Thanks, Mikey.
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

I am very glad that you are back. There are times when the Star War pictures of people suspected in a fluid-filled glass container really makes sense. No pressure. wise.

Thanks for keeping us posted.
    Glad the surgery is behind you and you are recovering well.

AAD

I am also considering it for the same reasons. Do you have a bag or just a plug? On left side of abdomen?

Brian
    Who are these time beings? And, why are we always doing things for them?

If it wasn't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL.

Mike,
    I'm glad you are on the road to recovery. I had one early on and I've never once regretted it. It's very clean and easy to manage. Very easy to conceal that I even have one. No BP. Bowel care takes about 5 min. per day.

Good luck with it.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M
    Mike,
    Bowel care takes about 5 min. per day.

Sue
    Sue, I too am considering this surgery. Can you give a quick run-down of your 5 minute routine please?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Less than 5 min care

Bowel care with my colostomy follows these steps:

1) Gather supplies: 1 new ostomy bag, 1 1-gallon freezer bag, toilet paper

2) Get new bag ready-tear off seal and tape back

3) Pull off used bag (I use an all in one unit by Hollister-product #3323 (see below link):

http://www.hollister.com/us/products...ly=6&series=55

4)Place used bag in freezer bag.

5) Wipe around stoma with toilet paper (usually just dry. Occassionally you may need a wet piece)

6) Put used toilet paper in freezer bag

7) Place seal of bag over stoma--be sure surrounding skin is dry

8) Close freezer bag and toss in garbage

9)Done

Super easy and clean. People are generally surprised how easy it is. It's so clean, no one ever feels the need to use gloves.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Sue

PS( I carry a spare colostomy "kit" in my w/c bag--freezer bag with some toilet paper and spare colostomy bag in it--just in case)

Susan, do you have irrigate routinely? Or occassionally?

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M

Super easy and clean.
    Sue
    Now THAT I can handle. After 33 years my bowels are starting to give me fits. Thank GOD I have great sensation and know when I need to go otherwise it'd be a real pain! This would remove all the stress, worry and time involved with my current regimen.

Thanks Sooz......
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Your welcome, Deadeye!

Debra,

I NEVER irrigate.

Sue