Thread: New wheel on the market

New wheel on the market

At Sunday's Rick Hansen Wheels in Motion event I was talking to people from Stryker. They have a new wheel on the market that they claim is lighter than even Spinergies. It is a 650C size so you can replace tires at a bike shop instead of a wheelchair vendor.

They are also coming out with a new type of manual wheelchair sometime this summer. It is supposed to have some interesting innovations.

Sorano Wheels

Good looking wheel but I will wait till there warehouse is so full from lack of sales and the cost will be half of what they are now.

Pimp My Ride

I hear that King! Those seem kinda pricey to me..

~~Somewhere between happiness and sadness,i need calculate,what creates my own madness~~

it says they're 3.1 pounds per tire. i was told spinergy's was 2 pounds complete.

www.JohnB.tk
    www.BelknapMotosports.com

Do they only make one size? That leaves alot of people out if their chair is made for a different size wheel.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I thought that 25" 'wheelchair' wheels were common bike tire sizes anyway? I think I will stick with my fiber spoked Spinergy wheels, that way I dont have to worry about them 'staying true longer'. Any other bashing on these?

Originally posted by *Andy*:

I thought that 25" 'wheelchair' wheels were common bike tire sizes anyway? I think I will stick with my fiber spoked Spinergy wheels, that way I dont have to worry about them 'staying true longer'. Any other bashing on these?
    Actually they are 650cc not 25" and I wouldn't worry about keeping true as Bontrager rims are high quality rims and DT nipples (teeheeee nipples ) are the best they make

They are pricey but I thought that I would still make people aware of another option/product.

I wonder if the weights given for Spinergies and/or these tires both included tires and handrims. It would seem fraudulent to claim to be the lightest wheel on the market if they were not.

They might be a good option for someone who goes through a lot of tires or travels frequently because tires can bought and replaced at bike shops (which are easy to find and are open on weekends, evenings and holidays).