Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apart or instead of water and coffee what do you drink lots of?

apart or instead of water and coffee what do you drink lots of?

What are sci ppl drinking during day, with meals, mornings and evenings? Why? I'm curious because the water is starting to taste boring.

Gatorade has been the only thing I've drank since being introduced to it by a nurse at my school's health center about 7 years ago. I had a really bad cold and felt like I was going to pass out in the waiting room, a nurse came out and gave me a cup of the green gatorade and I immediately felt better. I was probably dehydrated and my electrolytes were low so it makes sense that I was helped by it. I really don't like the way juices or water tastes and soda isn't thirst quenching so it's worked out well.

I was tired of drinking so much water, so I started drinking kool aid and crystal light. I don't know if its as good for me as water, but it sure taste better.

Cynthia

Lemon

in water tastes good...not so boring.

I drink Gatorade too, but I dilute it with water.

First the bad news...

Caffeine is baaaaad (picture Dana Carvey) ...for your bladder care. I know this sucks but its true. Yes this means Coke, Pepsi and Mountain Dew too. had to give up Dr. Pepper...and morning coffee. It can be done. Carbonated drinks are also good too stay away from altogether...HEY I told this was the bad news....the carbonated drinks can lead to dehydration and the often associated sugar content creates a breeding ground for bacteria.

Now the good news...drink lemon water, water laced with cranberry, sports drinks eg gatorade), lemonade (watch for the sugar content), iced tea (get non-decaffeneited), hot tea (good 1/2 hour before bowel care), milk, cranberry juice (if I drink another glass I'll toss), etc....

And every now and the mix in a shot of Tequila with your choice of tropical fruit (e.g. hurricane margarita)...it'll help you keep you mind off of all the water (apologies to those members of AA). Which reminds me...virgin margaritas are also excellent.

What can you afford?

There are lots of "alternative" water sources and flavored waters you can get. There is even oxygenated water and "power" water if you can believe their claims. Best thing, though, is filtered water from the tap. Try adding citrus juices such as lemon, lime, even grapefruit to it. After a few bouts with dehydration and UTIs "plain" water will not be so boring.

"And so it begins."

Good advice

You do need to avoid caffeine if possible. In addition to irritating the bladder, this acts as a diuretic and is ultimately dehydrating.

Some people can do OK with decaffeinated ice tea. It is worth trying if you really hate water.

Carbonated sodas are also implicated in osteoporosis in women, so for people with SCI who are also at risk for this, it is best to avoid them.

Be careful about juices and Gator Ade as many people with SCI tend to gain weight after their injury and these products are loaded with sugar.

(KLD)

Fruit juices (orange, apple, grape, etc.)

I find juices too heavy - it tastes great if you add club soda......