Thread: Help, Sweating?

Help, Sweating?

I've talked to a few other people with this same problem. Wondering if anyone has an answer. My injury level is T-4. Well I don't sweat below about T-6. None of doctors have an answer, as usual. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, and if so, was there anything they did to help. I live in Florida and its already in the upper 90's everyday and this is the first year that I am pretty mobile. But the heat seems to get to me pretty fast. Thanks

yup, its normal, i dont sweat at all. i drink lots of water and keep a wet hat on my head....i dont avoid the sun, i luv it

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

Hi Matthew,
    my injury is at T2, and I sweat profusely from about T6 upwards, but not below. This is normal, and I think fuentejps gave good advice about how to cool down.

Keps.

Its odd i'm kind of opposite, c7 incomplete and I sweat everywhere below my injury nothing above.

Hi,

I'm t-5 incomplete and I sweat below and above myinjury level, but the worst place is right at my injury level.

Sweating in relationship to environmental temperatures is controlled by the hypothalamus in your brain. It controls sweating through autonomic nerve pathways that travel down your spinal cord from the brain. Inappropriate sweating (either excessive or insufficient) can occur due to SCI, esp. with injuries above about T6.

If you don't sweat, then you can give yourself "artificial sweat" by using something that moistens your skin (spray bottle, wet t-shirt, MistyMate, etc.). This is called evaporative cooling. A fan will add convective cooling to this. You still will find that your body does not cool off as well as prior to your injury though, as the ANS also controls vasoconstriction and vasodilation of blood vessels to get rid of excess body heat through conductive cooling (flushing, etc.) and there is no way to replace this. Keeping in the shade and air conditioned areas when it is hot is the best defense.

Sweating due to laying on a plastic sheet (for example) is not affected by SCI generally, as this is local heating and not environmental.

(KLD)

I don´t sweat at all anymore and always pack my MistyMate when it´s hot. The one thing you don´t need is getting heat exaustion or worse, heat stroke which can kill you. What I found strange was a roommate of mine only sweated on one half of his body. The other side stayed dry. Needless to say, it drove him nuts. Yes, he had a cervical injury.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer