Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: odometer on wheelchair

odometer on wheelchair

Recently I noticed that Sportaid sells odometers suitable for wheelchairs, so I decided to get one and installed it on my chair last week. I was curious to see how much I move each day, given that I spend most of my time in my house and garden. I was a little surprised to see that I wheel about 3 kilometers a day (I suppose I thought it might be more) but what surprised me most was that out of the 14 or so hours that I am up, only about 2 of those were in motion! That leaves a lot of 'still' time! Anyway I am really pleased to have attached it because now I can work on getting more exercise, moving around more.

That's kind of a neat idea. How much was it?

jOE

Joe
    $59 - a little expensive but it seems to be state of the art technology. Measures distance, time moving, speed, average speed and maximum speed. Each day I reset all modes to 0.00 but the accumulated distance remains.

carbar,
    where did you get it? I went to the online catalogue and didnt see an odometer there.

There are 2 listed on SportAid - I guess its the first one.
    Cateye Cordless

Cateye Mitty

--
    Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.

yes, that's it - the cateye cordless

Google the model number and find a lower price. Save yourself $15 or so.

Hey thats kinda cool!..How does it attach to your chair?..Does it seem accurate?

~~Somewhere between happiness and sadness,i need calculate,what creates my own madness~~

Those look just like a regular bicycle computer you can get at any bicycle shop or wal-mart for about $10.

They may be different though because the sensor on the ones for bicycles need to be mounted on the front fork close to the spokes, and I don't see anywhere on a wheelchair to mount one close enough to pick up the magnet that goes on the spokes.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

It is the same as for a bicycle. In fact the instructions are for a bike. But with a little adaptation it works fine on my chair. There is a small magnet disc which attaches to a spoke (my wheels don't have spokes, just 3 broad struts of carbonfibre so the disc was superglued to one of these), and a electronic unit which reads the rotations etc (attached to the lower frame of the chair, just above where the wheelcentre is, and must be close to the magnet as it passes), and finally the unit which shows the results (this is attached to the front frame just left of my left knee). I suppose not all chairs have the same structure as mine so maybe it wouldn't work on all chairs. But it is sold as a wheelchair accessory so it must suit most. And yes, I think it is accurate.