Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Day at RIM

First Day at RIM

My son went for his evaluation and first PT session at RIM on Wednesday. It was wonderful. This is the first evaluation of possible return he's had since the accident, the staff was fantasitic: upbeat, energetic, interested, helpful. He actually has had some significant motor recovery and even a little sensory return. He can crawl! We had no idea. He left the house annoyed and returned happy.

Awesome news!

"...I mean the wheelchair would be a thing in the past
    And us quads can talk about the past and laugh"-Professirx
    http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Today he walked about a quarter of the track in braces with "a giant baby walker". These are the "off the shelf" braces, they will be making some for him that are lighter. And this was after crawling and the Giger bike.

that sounds great, i hope he continues to get good return.

BeeBee,
    That's great! Is your son at the Bresnan Center? Is he in the spinal cord injury group? I am T6 complete and was taught to crawl by RIM Outpatient. I start the spinal cord injury program in August....

It's all good, keep pushing hard! Most likely a lot more will come, you're just getting started.

Rick

Yes, Mark, he is at Brasza Center as part of the Spinal Cord Recovery Program. I have been SO impressed with the staff and the program (admin staff could use some training, so be forwarned there, but the PT Staff is A#1, and that's what matters). He's there on Mon and Wed right now and will add another day soon.
    His goal is to walk with crutches by the end of summer. Ultimately, he's hoping to be able to remove the thigh portion of the braces.

Oh, Mark, he's T12 complete (we thought ) but functioning now at more of an L2-ish level. He's redeveloping trunk control (he ended up with about 6 months in a TLSO) and will start hitting the gym for upper body training soon, as well.

BeeBee, Not to be nosey...but is his insurance covering his therapy? I am finding auto insurance will pay for Spinal Cord Recovery Program....but health insurance won't. As it looks now, I will have to pay for program myself...$100/hour.

When I was first injured and was in Rehab, I worked with Bill Thornton. Can't wait to get there and see what he can do.

Auto Insurance is picking up the bill here. Bill did Kevin's evaluation last week and was the one that found so much recovery. He works with him off and on, still, but isn't his primary PT. A young guy named Reno and a girl named Alyssa (maybe spelled WRONG) usually work with him directly. Bill was very thorough in the eval and we were all surprised and impressed at what there was to work with.