Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Bar

Power Bar

Jake at CIMT on left over power bar used for training by Atlanta Falcons

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 12-03-04 at 12:38 PM.]

Dr. JJ,
    Does this vibrate? It looks like he is wearing cloth braces with stays. Is there a reason he might not use regular braces?

Cloth braces are a much cheaper ($75). Yes this power plate machine will vibrate the "H" out of you producing more muscle exercise.

Excuse my ignorance...
    Does the vibration produce spasms or something you and I can see or feel? I can see where in an able bodied individual the vibration would provoke a reaction, etc., and I can surmise that there would be stimulation in an SCI muscle, but is there way to know the muscles of an SCI are being exercised..., an EMG type tracing?
    Thank you for all of your postings!

See this
    Mechanical Stimuli Effective In Treatment Of Osteoporosis

Dr. Rubin's research focuses on the use of low-magnitude, high-frequency mechanical vibrations, which is administered to patients non-invasively using a small bathroom-scale like object that "shakes" at 30 cycles per second, similar to the frequency that muscle is active at. First tested in mice, rats and sheep, it was shown that exposure to mechanical signals would increase bone mass and improve bone strength.
    I just wonder if this frequency and magnitude is correct for SCI and how effective it would be with a sci person who is not weightbearing. Also, if the muscles are there but not voluntarily controlled will they still be strengthened 'automatically'?

Yes it increases bone mass and improves bone strength. Also, for the muscles that are moving (hands, wrists, elows, shoulders, etc.) they will get an improved workout!

So is 30 cycles per second also effective vibration therapy for those with SCI? I´ve got one of these vibration plate trainers on order and I´m willing to guinea pig myself and check for results, but I don´t want to shake and bake at the wrong tempurature if you catch my drift.

I wonder if Dr. Rubin has been playing with his tinkertoys lately and coming up with more scientific results regarding this form of therapy.

Dr. JJ: That device Jake used, does he still have the chance to use it? Any results so far?
    Last edited by Mike C; 11-21-2005 at 10:46 PM.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Blog Entries

Arrow

Hey MikeC,
    Where did ya order it from and how much does it cost?
    Never heard of this b4, got me highly interested. If it is cheap enough, I'll rig something up here at the hut and find out if it works on we completes. I'm afraid my toothpicks are getting kinda fragile after 10 years.

Mike

We have been using a PowerPlate (That is the device pictured) pretty much since it's inception. We were the first SCI facility to have one ~ 3 years ago. You can change both the fequency of the vibration (30mhz-50mhz) and the amplitude (high/low). The Professional model (shown in the pic) is ~ $9500. They do make a Home model for ~ $3500 but that does not allow for changing the fequency (fixed at 35mhz) and it has a much smaller platform.

Our clients experience varied results. For some it increases their ability to contract certain muscles. For others they are able to feel parts of their body better. I can email a matrix of what our clients experience while on it (these results were based on a questionaire they filled out) to whoever wants it...

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Here it is.

Costs 199€. Not the best model, but affordable. I´m going to give it the workover.
    Last edited by Mike C; 11-23-2005 at 06:40 PM.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer