Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FES and Posture

FES and Posture

I have lousy posture. Dr. Young calls me the King of slouch. Most of you guys sit better than me but I've seen some of you who actually sit worse. My posture is bad, I have slight scoliosis and in the past two years have developed a rotation from using a wrong size wheelchair. What a mess. Well, time to fight back. My back muscles are perfectly suited to sitting me up straight.... that's what they're there for. Time for some friggin all day FES to my lower back. Friday I get fitted for a bio suit garment. I can't wait.

~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I also have a bad posture and i'm a c7 incomplete asia D. I have little ab return and i can't stay up in the proper sitting position. Will this stim really make you sit up right? or will u also need abs to keep u upright?

mr coffee, I can tell by low back spasms, that I can easily trigger, that it will work. OTOH, I think he might be planning something for the abs, too. Not sure. In the picture, stim to the back is all that is correcting the posture. An ASIA D might find the stim uncomfortable. Not sure how much it will be or anything else, yet. Just hope it works. If so, some of you slouchers are going to be hearing from me....

Jeff,

thanks for the post! I have ordered a hand held stim unit, (it arrived today) and will apply them on my back after reading this thread, what a great idea for helping maintain good posture!!!

Is the bioflex suit hard to get on and how does it look and what was the cost?

btw- is that you in the pic? If so, then it looks like your wheelchair has very little back support!!!

Godspeed~
    Susan
    www.sciwalker.com

Yes, Susan is Correct, a low backrest like that is no good long term and can create problems, you should think about going with a higher backrest and lean back more in your chair. I did about a year ago and find it much more comfortable and I am sitting up more straight. Even when I am looking up at people talking to them like at parties, I find I am much more comfortable. The only thing I miss was that I was a little more manuverable with the low back and it was easier getting it into the truck with the low back.

Actually that's not me in the picture. I think it's just an example of stimming one side more than the other in order to correct a curve. I wish it really was me and I was so easily corrected.

I'm not sure what the BioSuit garments look like or how easy they are to get on and wear. I'm meeting with Philipp Muccio tomorrow [6/3/05] to get started on it. We're meeting with an orthotist and a physical therapist who are interested in using stim.... so I guess they'll be learning from my case. Hope it goes well. I have no idea what's required to fix me up. Only one way to find out!

Jeff,
    When we ordered Jesse's Ergys, they asked if he would be wanting the pant that has the pads in them already and that all he has to do is put them on and get in the bike and hook up two wires. Do you know what I am talking about? Is this a good idea? It seems to be that it would be better than having to stick all those pads right on your skin. That takes an additional half hour. Is that the kind of bio suit you are talking about?

SydneyJo - I'm talking about a similar garment. The TAI biking garment is worn to stimulate the hams, quads and gluts. The garment I'm being fitted for is to stim my lower back. The power will be coming from a rechargeable battery I'll carry with me.

Steve Petrofsky was not a big fan of stim garments. I think the contact is better with adhesive electrodes. But they do take time and they wear out so they are an ongoing expense.

cool stuff Jeff... keep us posted on how the Bioflex stuff goes. I came pretty close to getting fitted, but had to back out last minute & haven't looked back into it. It still intrigues me though...

Syndney Jo,

I have used the shorts for the Ergys bike, i did not like them as they are *very* tight! Soooo it is extremly hard to get them on and then you have to use lubrication on the shorts in the areas where you are being stimmed... Also, you must wash them and they are *expensive*, in anycase i suggest you not go this route due to the fact that the machine turned off *several* times when i tried working out with the pants. I own a StimMaster and it only takes approximatly 5-7 minutes to apply the pads... Good luck!

Oh yeah, you can apply the pads to your back or stomach and use them to build tone, this definatly works too!!! if only....

Godspeed~
    Susan
    www.sciwalker.com