Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Handcycling

Well that puts my 5K I did on Saturday morning to shame. But at any rate it's a start, I'll catch up with you soon enough when it comes to distance that I can get around I'm not exactly crazy about someone I am working with at my internship. I plan and going biking at the end of the day as a stress relief. Although things are getting better than what they were for the past three weeks I have a feeling I will be getting in some good miles.

www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
    Don Juan Matus

Aly, find some friends you can go with. It makes you less afraid to go places and it's nice to have just that little bit of help for the stupid things. I had to cath 4 times today! My friend's there just to get my stuff out of my bag. I'll admit, after I left Chopin, he'd give a little push just for that teensty bit of momentum, since I only have 7 speeds. With him pushing and me pedaling, we'd average around 12-15 mph on the flats.

Babies, before we're done here, y'all be wearin' gold plated diapers!

as a quad, how do you attach to the pedals so you are secure but at the same time can shift gears?

how is braking done?

Right on Christopher! love hearin your progress -- kickin some butt!

Cool for you Aly. Keep it up!

Makes me really want to try this out.

The grips sold by bike-on.com slide into a receiver attached to the pedals. You can slide one hand out to shift gears. Very secure. You brake by pulling back on the crank, just as you would a kid's bike.

Originally posted by crags:

as a quad, how do you attach to the pedals so you are secure but at the same time can shift gears? how is braking done?

I use the handcycling grips from bike-on as well. They make a world of difference for a quad. The brake is an old-school style pull back on the crank thing.

Bike-on c5 grips

Babies, before we're done here, y'all be wearin' gold plated diapers!

Not all bikes have the coaster brake (pull backwards on the hand crank). One of the things you have to look into when getting a bike. I have both a coaster brake and a regular hand brake/parking brake.

www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
    Don Juan Matus

Please don't be frightened.

I'm posting a pic so I can look back in six months and see if I've grown any bigger.

I wasn't implying that all bikes have a coaster brake. I have a hand brake as well.

Looking buff, Christopher!

Originally posted by Clipper:

I wasn't implying that all bikes have a coaster brake. I have a hand brake as well.
    I did not think you were implying that. Just wanted crags to be aware that not all bikes have the coaster brake and that should be something someone should look into when testing or buying a bike.

www.cawvsports.org
    Don Juan Matus