Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Handcycling

My transfer is rough, but doable. I lift my foot up before I trasfer, then kick away my chair after the transfer. My ass has gotten to know my wheels intimately. Getting in and out of the apparrtment is rough, but getting better.

Babies, before we're done here, y'all be wearin' gold plated diapers!

Originally posted by Aly:

Sorry that picture came out so big, is there a way to cut them down and make them smaller before or after attaching them?
    Aly, I shrunk it down so it views better. Pictures work best if they're like 700 pixels wide. Like christopher mentioned, there's a resize tool at the top of the Member Pictures forum.

I'm curious, how do you brake and shift gears?

Bruce,

Thanks for fixing the picture, I tried and obviously was not very successful. The bike has a coaster brake like most normal kids bikes, you just pull backwards on the handcrank. It also has a hand brake on the right side, it is silver you can see it in the picture. On the left-hand side there's just a little button, you can push that changes gears. My new gloves, which I don't have pictures of yet , allow me to disconnect my hands from the handcrank to change gears, instead of the duct tape job you see there.

Aly

The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
    Don Juan Matus

Aly, very cute. I have to agree with Christopher, but chicks on bikes are hot. Hope you post more pics of yourself on your bike.

Groovy!..Thanks guys ...Whats the height difference from chair seat to bike seat on your STUFFS Chris and Clipper?...Id never get out of that bike of yours Aly.Are you able to transfer into that alone?

~~I went to heaven,but couldnt get in for what i had done.I said ''please take me'',they said your crazy,you had to much fun~~

My height difference is about equal... I can transfer from both my motor chair and my manual chair in and out. You'd be able to do it easy with practice. There's a space where the wheels are, but my chair gets right up close... no board or anything. The important thing is to swing my leg over the bike's frame before I transfer.

Babies, before we're done here, y'all be wearin' gold plated diapers!

Shaun,
    Getting into my bike is not a problem it's getting my ass back out of it that is the issue. At the moment, I don't have a way to transport the bike to the trail I like to use by myself so whoever goes with me helps me get back out. After seeing your transfer I don't understand why you couldn't do that (made me feel like a slacker . I still drag my slide board around with me everywhere. My spasms are way too rough to do without it. Plus my torso and my arms are almost the exact same length. I like the lower bike because they are harder to flip over and it helps stretch out the legs. I'm trying to talk my stepdad into making me little ramps to drive the bike on too to make it an even transfer. Kind of like those things you drive your front tires of your vehicle on when you change the oil. My parents keep asking me about different bikes that I could use independently, my college undergrad graduation is next week. I'm hoping that's a hint of getting my own bike so I can give this one back.

Aly

The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
    Don Juan Matus

I loved handcycling in Florida. It's as flat as a pancake most everywhere. In New Jersey where there are lots of hills it really slows me down. Even gentle slopes cause me to slow down. My wife leaves me in the dust so our bike ride together is simply me forever playing catch up.

I've read that they allow bicycles on boardwalks early in the AM in many places in Jersey. Definitely have to schedule several rides this summer followed by relaxing on the beach later in the day.

~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I've been working on a trailer hitch mounted bike rack for my minivan that both hauls my handbike and helps transfers in and out of the bike. It has a bench to use as needed. I'm C6-7 Incomplete.

To get from the chair to bike, position the bike between your chair and the rack. I lift myself down using the chair and the rack as handholds.

To unload ride up next to the rack and my minivan lowers the rack due to the kneeling system. Sliding from the bike down(!) to the rack is easy enough. Then have the van lift the ramp and the rack (with you on it) and the transfer to the chair is now doable.

I'm not completely done with the whole thing, but so far it allows me to drive to a ride. Let me know if you're interested and I'll show pictures.

When I first got the bike it took three people to get me in and out. I don't miss that at all.
    Pat

Pat, I would love to see a picture of that. I have several images in my head that I think would work just don't know how to explain them to other people to rig them up.

Aly

Don Juan Matus