Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Handcycling

Yeah, his winter fat is GONE!!! Transfers are easy, it's just the set up. The hardest thing is getting a camelback full of water around my shoulders. I don't have to use the footstraps cuz my shoes clip into the footrests. My balance on the bike is still a little screwy (although today I cathed while on my bike unassisted).

The ride is smooth, slow and steady. I'm not gonna push my dog past 10 mph (yet). I average about 5 mph, stick to sidewalks and bike paths. Montreal is built on the foot of a mountain, and I will make it to the top soon. I think I need a videocam. Do a little tour guide thing.

I don't like changing things, I'd rather just adapt to it. BUT... I coulda used more cowbell...

ps. The dog is attracting the ladies like moths to a flame. I now know how it feels to hang out with a rock star. 'Can I have your autrograph? Can I have your autograph? Can I pet your dog? Can I pet your dog? Can I pet your dog? Alright just GO AHEAD AND PET THE FRIKKIN DOG ALREADY!!! BAH!!! HUMBUG!!!'

Babies, before we're done here, y'all be wearin' gold plated diapers!

[This message was edited by christopher on 05-25-05 at 11:33 PM.]

I'm lucky enough to have use of my legs to the extent that I can use a standing recumbent bike - I have not tried a real recumbent but I look forward to that possibility.
    The unit that Aly is on in her picture would be perfect if I could get one with foot pedals.
    Aly - where did you get that?
    If anyone can direct me to a source for such bikes, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

garvey, there are many recumbent trikes out there .. a good site with many links is here.

I've ridden the Sidewinder .. it's a nice bike, tho since I have hand function issues, I'd need some mods to shift, brake and steer.

For anyone needing a handcycle, bike-on.com, a site with good info about them, has modified a bike into what they call the Quad Pro Magic. Hard to tell from the pics exactly what they did, but good ideas nonetheless.

Originally posted by christopher:

ps. The dog is attracting the ladies like moths to a flame. I now know how it feels to hang out with a rock star. 'Can I have your autrograph? Can I have your autograph? Can I pet your dog? Can I pet your dog? Can I pet your dog? Alright just GO AHEAD AND PET THE FRIKKIN DOG ALREADY!!! BAH!!! HUMBUG!!!'
    Sounds awsome man..I still havnt ordered mine yet....Tell the chicks they can pet your pup,but you get the belly rub..

Bruce how much leg strength do you need for that Sidewinder? Do you know?

Bruce - thanks for the links.
    I hope I can get on the road again - my old mountain bike is just rusting up!

The bike in the picture that is posted was designed by engineer students at Virginia Tech (GO HOKIES!!) The one that I got as a graduation present which is similar we ordered through www.Bike-on.com . They guys there are great both Andy and Scott. I've seen bikes that you sit in and pedal with your feet, but would have to do a search to find them.

www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
    Don Juan Matus

chastev8, it takes a fair amount. I can walk and did ok on level ground. There were some gentle grades where I was riding, and they got a bit tough and I'd have to gear down and go slow. Don't know what the limit for me is. There is also a model of the Sidewinder with a small electric motor to assist on the hills. I'd say you need pretty strong quads plus some hamstrings and glutes at least to make it work.

Aly, so are you a Hokie? I visited Virginia Tech last summer. A good friend of mine is a professor there. Beautiful place!

does anybody know of a good organization that I can maybe get a loaner handcycle to try out? I've never tried one and would love to do so. I am now in an ideal neighborhood to get great use out of one. but, I'd really like to get a loaner first and see if handcycling is something I could learn to love.

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

Bruce - I was born and raised a Hokie. I do not attend school there but my grandfather graduated from VT. I have never lived more than 30 minutes from the stadium and remember attending games when we were lucky to end the season with a 2-8 record. Obviously, I've been stoked with the success of the team since the early to mid-nineties, although the players need to get their stuff together quit making stupid mistakes off the field.

Amanda - is there any kind of disabled sports organization in your area? I snow ski with an organization that is about 3 1/2 hours away from us, and my family and I have been very active in supporting them, they are the ones that let me borrow the bike that there is a picture posted in this thread. It only to me twice to be on the bike to know this was something I liked, even though I was not very strong at the time. It also only took me this long to know what needed to be changed and modified. If I can find the magazine I will send you the different organizations that deal in handbikes that they have listed, maybe if you gave them a deposit they would let you try one out for little while. It is definitely a way to get very good exercise that doesn't feel like an exercise regiment.

www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
    Don Juan Matus