Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone find a diet that works to maintain current weight or weight loss

anyone find a diet that works to maintain current weight or weight loss

hello everyone, i'm trying to find a diet so I don't get overweight. If your not very active should I be on a low carb diet with high protien or what? If this is the case what types of food should I focus on eating, i've found tuna being very lean but what else should I eat so I don't gain any weight? Thanks.

I've found that a low calorie/low fat diet works best for me. Usually granola for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and for dinner a nice spring mix salad with sunflower seeds and grilled chicken (fat free dressing and no croutons). Other nights I'll have a nice mahi mahi fillet sauteed in a touch of olive oil, or some sushi.

Of course I make allowances for the occasional splurges, like pizza and beer (Yankees/RedSox games)and summer bbq's, etc.

MZ

www.caloriecontrol.org has a page where you can put in your weight, age, height and activity level (low or sedentary in your case)and it will provide you with your recommended calories per day. Look for the Weight Maintenace Calculator. Then put in what you'd like to weigh (whether you do or not now) and it will provide you with the calories allowed per day. There are also some very helpful clues on that site and some calory calculators. I'm AB, but very small and use it to stay that way.

once you're at your target weight there's several things to keep in mind:
    1. cooking methods-no frying, breading, heavy saucing, cheezing
    2. minimize/eliminate refined white sugars/flours
    3. eliminate empty calories, like soda
    4. eat moderate amts of complex carbs, whole grains, steel cut oats
    5. eat protein sources with minimal/moderate fat amounts
    6. eat plenty of vegetables and fruits
    7. if you want a sweet treat, eat it along with a meal
    8. get fat/protein in every meal to keep you from snacking before next meal
    9. dilute fruit juices with extra water
    10. eat slower, chew thoroughly and don't gorge like an animal

Thanks for the responces, I eat little poritions throughout the day because my stomach gets so bloated if I eat 3 regular sized meals a day but by the end of the night my stomach still is bloated and I eat around 1500 calories a day. I stay away from white breads instead I eat rice cakes, fruit and tuna with some cottage cheese. I don't have very much fat on my stomach but its really big, do any other quads have this problem? I'm a c7 but i've seen c6's not have a really bloated gut so i'm confused on why mine is so big if i'm cutting calories. The only time my gut wasn't bloated is when all I ate would be a health bar in the morning and then just eat a sandwitch a day. Do you think its just all the food in my intestines and stomach?

It may not be the amount of food, but the type of foods. Some people (SCI or not) have problems with some grains and fruits. Rice cakes may not be the best, you might experiment with whole grain breads, instead. (this is gross, but there's a guy on a local radio station who can fart for 10 uninterupted minutes if he eats Rice Krispies....). Take it one item at a time, so you'll know what helped. For instance if stopping the rice cakes doesn't help, then put them back in and try dropping the apples (or whatever). Stay away from anything carbonated (soda, beer) and don't drink thru a straw, if you're able not to. Watch juices, too. Really high in calories and can make you full without really eating anything.
    Also be sure you're doing your range of motion regularly to help your body move.

what difference does drinking through a straw make?

BTW that calorie count thing gave me two completely different answers depending on whether my height was in ft & in or cms. It only says to do weight in Kg for metric doesn't say what it should be for other but when I did it with lbs it said I had to put a weight in.. (i had).. so still no idea!
    Last edited by Katilea; 05-10-2011 at 08:58 AM.

after no appatite for years, im suddenly hungry all the time, so am facing the same sort of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Katilea View Post
    what difference does drinking through a straw make?

BTW that calorie count thing gave me two completely different answers depending on whether my height was in ft & in or cms. It only says to do weight in Kg for metric doesn't say what it should be for other but when I did it with lbs it said I had to put a weight in.. (i had).. so still no idea!
    Drinking through a straw adds a lot of unnecessary air into your GI tract. This adds to gas output for colostomates as well.

Whatever I want in reasonable quantities as long as I keep to a good exercise regimen.
    I eat a big breakfast - potatoes, eggs, sausage. No lunch, usually a small dinner.
    Coasting along at 175lbs just like pre-SCI.
    Weren't you powering down protien & stuff trying to gain weight not so long ago?
    How is the exercise going?