Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many calories a day?

How many calories a day?

Hello everyone, I'm confused on how much I should eat a day. I'm about 5'3" and i'm 19 years old and a c7 incomplete and weigh 94 pounds but my stomach looks pretty big compared to the rest of my body. I don't want to get overweight because I don't get to do much excercise. Before the accident I based everything off of the 2,000 calories a day, but how many calories a day should I consume without gaining, any idea's? I tried to base it on just eating when I was hungry but i'm rarely hungry and my mom doesn't like the sound of 94 when i use to weigh 135. I also was confused on how many fat calories I should be maintaing, i'm not very good at looking at the labels and seeing whats alright to eat and what would just cause excess fat, such as fat cals, sugar, carbs, etc. Thanks.

Hi Mr_coffee,

I don't know the answers to your questions, but as for the stomach bulge, as far as i know you're stuck with it. There has been many discussions on this board about "quad-belly" and it's always the same, we have to live with it. The ab muscles are now flaccid and can't hold the organs in place like they used to.

I'm more self conscience about my belly than I am about the chair.

Good luck

Dave

Its better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

I'm no expert but I tend to do good eating between 1000-1200 calories a day. There are days that I eat closer to 2000 but when I do that I tend to feel stuffed. I tend to follow the eating when hungry bit so some days I only eat 800-1000. Listen to your body it probably knows what it needs. As far as only weighing 94 vs. 135 you probably have less muscle than you did before your accident and muscle weighs more than fat. And unfortunately the quad gut is here to stay. Just eat a balanced diet with whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc... and make sure you get plenty of protein. It helps keep you metabolism going, maintains what muscle you do have, and helps prevent pressure sores. Just my 2 cents... Hope it helps.

This to shall pass...

just some thoughts:
    1. i've read sci weights should be 10-15% less than ideal AB weights, if you were normal wt at 135, then at 94 you are significantly underweight
    2. you may become so boney that you're at high risk for pressure sores
    3. once you gain your target weight several general ideas are applicable
    4. see what calorie count allows you to maintain this weight, once you've eaten a balanced diet load, any possible extras are goodies, good idea to minimize high processed sugared goodies though
    5. if you need to reduce cals to maintain weight, you need to eat high quality cals
    6. elim/min sugars, processed foods
    7. elim/min extra fat cals like frying/heavy butter/spread use
    8. eat lean meats/trim fats, grill, don't pan fry in its fat
    9. subst whole grain food prods for processed foods such as bread, pasta
    10. maintain 1/3 portions of protein, veggie, carb, if you want 2nds, take small 1/3rds of all 3 again

i think you need to see a nutritionist/dietician first, you need to put one some wt, one serious illness and you could be in serious trouble

You definately need to gain weight. Last semester I wasnt eating properly w/ my school schedule and got down to 140. Im 6'2 so I was pretty damn boney. Over the holidays, I saw my doc and he was pissed. My albumen(sp)level was way low and my immune system was not good. He put me on oxandrin to regain strength and to help w/ appetite. It worked great and I now weigh 165 and feel alot healthier and stronger. Ask your doc about what you should eat to gain weight properly.

i understand where you coming from but i don/t count calories i just watch what i eat. i am boney my rear is pure flab.it doesn/t protect my hiney at all so when i set i make sure ihave good cushion.i wt about the same when i got sci
    althought when i stand up i look smaller. one thing about the quad belly when i stand i really don/t have much, but lol sitting down i have a quads in there

Originally posted by Landon:

You definately need to gain weight. Last semester I wasnt eating properly w/ my school schedule and got down to 140. Im 6'2 so I was pretty damn boney. Over the holidays, I saw my doc and he was pissed. My albumen(sp)level was way low and my immune system was not good. He put me on oxandrin to regain strength and to help w/ appetite. It worked great and I now weigh 165 and feel alot healthier and stronger. Ask your doc about what you should eat to gain weight properly.
    How long were you on Oxandrin? What was the dosage? My son (22) is 6'2" and was 180 lbs the day of his injury,(almost two years ago) but is 137 lbs today. He just can't seem to put weight back on. It is very frustrating for him. Were there any side effects with the Oxandrin?

Thanks!

I'm 6ft and I used to weigh 145. I was eating about 3-4000 calories a day, but I did about 40 miles of bike riding and 10 miles of walking in a days work. After my accident I lost about 25 lbs, and tried so hard to gain weight. I gained about 10 lbs and now I'm steady at 130 with a BMI of 18. I eat about a third of what I used to eat though. I just don't have the urge to eat as much as I used to. I try and eat healthy food and take multivitamins for balance.

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

How do you weigh yourselves? I havent weighed myself since my accident. I dont have any fat, just a quadgut but itwould help if I could keep track of my weight as I have been putting on some muscle recently.

--
    How do you like them apples?

For me it's kind of a hassle... I use a freight scale. I use the one at the hospital where I was going for outpatient pt. The only thing is you have to know exactly how much your chair weighs.

My therapist was willing to take most of a session the first time to do this. I transfered out of my chair to a mat table, then she took my chair over and weighed it, came back, I got back in my chair and then we went over and weighed both the chair with me in it. Then just do the math (total weight - chair's weight) and you now have your weight.

Once you know the chair's weight you can weigh yourself anytime you get around a freight scale.

This to shall pass...