Thread: Auto Ambulator

Auto Ambulator

I also contacted the engineers that put together the Auto Ambulator for the Health South facilities. I was told the only facility at present that is using the AB is a Health South facility in PA. We live near Nashville and Vanderbilt University is a Health South facility. I jumped through hoops and hoops and finally Vanderbilt Children's Hospital decided to assess my son Joshua who is 20 y/o and is 2 years post with a C6 & C7 injury. We went for the appointment and actually watched a person that had a stroke use the machine. Vanderbilt doctors and PT & OT assessed Joshua and thought that the Shepherd Center had done wonders with him and were very impressed as a Quad with all the abilities that he had and that they would have a team discussion and let us know.

Vanderbilt called us told us that as a Health South facility that they did not at present have a program for Quads, but that as far as they knew the only HSF was in PA taking Quad or Paras and they had to be incomplete. If you check out the Health South website the Auto Ambulator was to be used for strokes, and Paralyized individuals both complete and incomplete.

This really p---ed me off. I actually spoke with the original engineers that put the AB together and also the man that was paralyzed years ago who's picture appears on the Wheaties box.

What do you people think about this? This is limiting and false advertising as far as I am concerned. We were extremely disappointed.

Health South is in deep financial trouble.

Several of the HealthSouth executives had fraud charges brought against them...it all started coming out about the time the Autoambulator was being introduced, the program never did get off the ground. As Dr. Young says, they are in a mess now.
    The Autoambulator was supposed to be put in every HealthSouth Rehab center.

I know they did have one last year at Washington University in St. Louis and used it for SCI rehab.

Article Here

I know there are very few and far between, but you might check to see about centers that have a Lokomat?

[This message was edited by hope2findacure on 02-08-05 at 08:38 AM.]

[This message was edited by hope2findacure on 02-08-05 at 08:40 AM.]

You would think that if they are indeed in deep financial trouble that HS facilities would want more people using the AB.

Nurse Doona:

Try CIMT in Atlanta. They have a hoist over a tread mill. It works well for low quads and paras.They have a website

JJG

Doctor J.J.

Please send me a link to the website about the treadmill. I was unable to locate anything about the treadmill under cmit in atlanta.

Originally posted by Dr. J. J.:

Nurse Doona:

Try CIMT in Atlanta. They have a hoist over a tread mill. It works well for low quads and paras.They have a website

JJG
    Does your son use this hoiest over a treadmill?

My wife used the AB in Braintree MA. It helped her alot.

Like Hope2 said, RI St.Louis is a HS and has one. I used it for 2 weeks in June of 04.
    I primarily was going for aqua therapy and wanted to fill out the day so I just asked to use it. The program director said no problem!

What I found a little odd tho, all the time I've spent there in the last 2 yrs, the machine sits idle. Other than myself (SCI) I saw 2 stroke patients use it as a walking treadmill only.

I never heard of any studies or trials while there using the AutoAmbulator, my impression was, it was just another piece of equipment for use in PT and, was billed at the normal hourly rate for any type of therapy.

DIGG.